Help ID fossil found with Niagara Escarpment rocks

ChrisBCritters

I'm looking for assistance identifying a large fossil that was in with skids of limestone rockery from the Niagara Escarpment.   I have uploaded a series of pictures to Flickr https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTVvrFN and attached one image. It looks like a type of coral.  There is lots of texture on the surface.  When opened up, it is full of long columns.  Thanks.  

Thumbnail2.jpg

Edited by ChrisBCritters

Hi,

I don’t know if it’s a fossil, but it looks like it’s made of aragonite.

Please put your photos directly on the forum, don't require members to leave to go see them elsewhere, you will have little visibility and your link is not permanent.

Coco
  • I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

50877414193_dd4db9f12d_c.jpg  50877415228_2361276248_c.jpg

50878117211_1139e2c6f8_c.jpg  50878224907_2960e1e627_c.jpg

50878225157_7478c2bc11_c (1).jpg 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

I don’t know if it’s a fossil, but it looks like it’s made of aragonite.

Please put your photos directly on the forum, don't require members to leave to go see them elsewhere, you will have little visibility and your link is not permanent.

Coco

Thanks for the tip.  I could only find one picture that fit within the download limit.  The others were 7MB in size.  I will try to shrink them.  

8 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Favositid coral 

Thanks, Rockwood!  I will look into that.  

I agree with Favosites. Favosites favosus is reported from the Silurian Lockport Formation (the formation that makes up the outcrops of the Niagaran Escarpment) at Lake Timiskaming. In fact, it is within the Favosites favosus zone.

"The Favosites favosus zone marks the Cordell dolomite in Michigan (MM) and Wisconsin (MW), the Hopkinton dolomite in Iowa (HOP),the Fossil Hill formation in Manitoulin Island and the Bruce Peninsula (FH), and the Lockport formation at Lake Timiskaming (LT) (called the Thornloe limestone by Flower, 1946, p. 519). The widespread coral beds in this area carry the following typical fauna:

Favosites favosus (Goldfuss) - Hop, MW, MM, FH, LT.

Arachnophyllum pentagonum (Goldfuss) - Hop, MW, MM, FH, LT.

A. striatum (d'orbigny) - Hop, MM, FH.

Romingerella major (Rominger) [ = Thecia major] - MM, FH.

Coenites crassus (Rominger) - MM, FH, LT.

Halysites labyrinthicus (Goldfuss) - MW, MM, LT.

Ptychophyllum stokesi Edwards & Haime - MM, FH.

Stokesoceras romingeri Foerste - MM, LT.

Huronia vertebralis Stokes - HOD.MM. FH."

-SILURIAN ROCKS OF MICHIGAN AND THEIR CORRELATION, George M. Ehlers and Robert V. Kesling, 1962.

PDF Link

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I agree with Favosites. Favosites favosus is reported from the Silurian Lockport Formation (the formation that makes up the outcrops of the Niagaran Escarpment) at Lake Timiskaming. In fact, it is within the Favosites favosus zone.

"The Favosites favosus zone marks the Cordell dolomite in Michigan (MM) and Wisconsin (MW), the Hopkinton dolomite in Iowa (HOP),the Fossil Hill formation in Manitoulin Island and the Bruce Peninsula (FH), and the Lockport formation at Lake Timiskaming (LT) (called the Thornloe limestone by Flower, 1946, p. 519). The widespread coral beds in this area carry the following typical fauna:

Favosites favosus (Goldfuss) - Hop, MW, MM, FH, LT.

Arachnophyllum pentagonum (Goldfuss) - Hop, MW, MM, FH, LT.

A. striatum (d'orbigny) - Hop, MM, FH.

Romingerella major (Rominger) [ = Thecia major] - MM, FH.

Coenites crassus (Rominger) - MM, FH, LT.

Halysites labyrinthicus (Goldfuss) - MW, MM, LT.

Ptychophyllum stokesi Edwards & Haime - MM, FH.

Stokesoceras romingeri Foerste - MM, LT.

Huronia vertebralis Stokes - HOD.MM. FH."

-SILURIAN ROCKS OF MICHIGAN AND THEIR CORRELATION, George M. Ehlers and Robert V. Kesling, 1962.

PDF Link

Thanks, Thomas!

These are all favositid corals, as has been stated already.  However there is more than one species of Favosites in the Lockport, the Cordell, and in equivalent strata at Lake Temiskaming.  It could be useful to have an indication of scale in the images with the close-ups of the corallites as corallite diameter is one useful diagnostic character (though not the only one).

Don

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

It probably is unlikely these are coming from Lake Timiskaming as that is quite a long haul for rock! It is more likely coming from anywhere along the escarpment band that has active quarries, from Bruce Peninsula down to Niagara region. The escarpment itself is certainly more diverse in its stratigraphic range than simply the Lockport or Amabel dolomite, so one cannot entirely rule out a non-Lockport Fm source. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

They way I phrased it might have been misleading. I just meant to mention that it is reported from the Lockport Formation and the Lockport is in the Favosites favosus zone. I wasn't trying to suggest that they came from Lake Timiskaming or it was definitely Favosites favosus. It's simply that the paper specifically lists corals from Lake Timiskaming for Lockport Formation fossils which is why I mentioned the locality. The paper also mentions that there are additional coral species not limited to that zone but occur across others.

17 minutes ago, Kane said:

The escarpment itself is certainly more diverse in its stratigraphic range than simply the Lockport or Amabel dolomite, so one cannot entirely rule out a non-Lockport Fm source. :) 

I wasn't aware of this but I'm not surprised. @ChrisBCritters, can we get a more specific locality to try and narrow down a Formation?