Is this fossilized honeycomb

Stella

I found this on a river bank in Louisiana. I've had it for years. I'm not sure what it really is. I would like to know though so I decided to ask this forum. Please help if you can. Thanks. 

compressor (1).zip

I wasn’t able to see the image, but would guess some sort of coral just from your description. (Look up favosites to get an idea of what I mean.) Try uploading the image directly to the forum so that it can be properly identified.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

I need help identifying my great find. I've had it for many years. I really don't remember where I got it. It looks like petrified or maybe fossilized honeycomb. I appreciate your help. 

IMG_20210209_111613592.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Oh well, I was also expecting a favositid coral based on your description. Now I am stumped!

I have not really any good idea, but I get a man-made vibe for this.

Is it lightweight for its size? Is it a "rock" in the widest sense?
Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

I think this was formed by the dissolution of oolites, likely carbonate, from a more resistant matrix.

Oolithic limestone would be the image to look for.

• I Agree 2

Alveolar, or honeycomb weathering.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Currently, it is considered to be polygenetic in origin; being the result of complex interaction of physical and chemical weathering processes, which include salt weathering and cyclic wetting and drying.

Maybe I see a window for my idea ? :Confused05:

• I Agree 1

As @jpc and @Rockwood said, I agree this is an absolutely magnificent specimen of geologic origin.

While not a fossil of a living organism, it is a fossil of a not often observed geologic process- a record of ancient earth chemistry to be treasured!

• I Agree 1

These holes (are all of these holes or are there some positives also?) are so regular and smooth and roundish.

Do these holes "interact" with each other*? Maybe I can see something like that, in the upper right, tree holes together, but I am unsure.

I think, @Rockwood is into something - honeycomp weathering, very strongly influenced by preexisting roundish objects?

*If the answer is no, a mold from a heap of "LECA" comes to my mind:

LECA (link to wikipedia)

@Stella, would you like to provide some further infos? Are there any positives, pics from the back, side etc., do the holes "interact"?

Franz Bernhard

I don't get a tafoni* vibe from this.

*You might want to google that,in combination with,e.g.,geomorphology

depending on size:

transgressve ooid lag deposit,with the fines winnowed out

SO: I tend to agee with Rockwood 

You know all those infrastructure warnings you see in the news. Well admittedly not the headlines they should be, but, be that as it may, this happens to steel.

Hello together.

I have no real idea what this could be. One point speaks against it being ooliths weathered out in my opinion though: there is no single trace of a positive sphere to be seen as far as my eyes are not tricked by optical illusions. Not alveolar weathering in my opinion either. The cavities seem to originate on the same plane of surface, some kind of trace fossil?

Another view may give further insight.

And welcome to the forum by the way!

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

8 minutes ago, Mahnmut said:

The cavities seem to originate on the same plane of surface

I see some that look only tangentially connected but exposed slightly through their connection to the shapes on this surface.

I have to advise of a possible bias, but this looks to have been cast as a fluid to me. The bias ? I've been fitting sheets of cement board today. It's a pebbly, bubble filled casting. 

I'd like to see the back and the edge.  There is something awful familiar with this picture, but I can't place it. 

When I blow it up, several seem to have what may have been "stems" (like an apple would have).  They are not as uniform on closer examination.  Aberrations to the "circle" seem to predominate 3 to 5 o'clock.  It also brings to mind an egg mass, or maybe a squirrel stash of round seeds.  Whatever it is, I enjoy the mystery and enjoy, and look forward to reading the opinions.  

12 hours ago, Pemphix said:

Much to regular for honeycomb weathering imho.

I get a manmade vibe here, like FranzBernhard said....

I see overlapping that doesn't look manmade to me.  :headscratch: :unsure:  :shrug:

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think, that what you have there is a nice example of what MO Nature can give it for us.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, HuckMucus said:

They are not as uniform on closer examination.  Aberrations to the "circle" seem to predominate 3 to 5 o'clock.  

Carbonate oolites would have have a low resistance to fracture in a violent deposition event.

It's not heavy but also not lite. I don't think it's man-made bc, you can't see from the picture, but the holes are all of the way through out. It has a hard plastic feel to it. You are probably right. I appreciate your comment. Thanks. 

On 2/9/2021 at 11:33 PM, FranzBernhard said:

These holes (are all of these holes or are there some positives also?) are so regular and smooth and roundish.

Do these holes "interact" with each other*? Maybe I can see something like that, in the upper right, tree holes together, but I am unsure.

I think, @Rockwood is into something - honeycomp weathering, very strongly influenced by preexisting roundish objects?

*If the answer is no, a mold from a heap of "LECA" comes to my mind:

LECA (link to wikipedia)

@Stella, would you like to provide some further infos? Are there any positives, pics from the back, side etc., do the holes "interact"?

Franz Bernhard

Yes, the holes interact. They are through and through. 

• Thank You 1

On 2/10/2021 at 2:11 AM, doushantuo said:

I don't get a tafoni* vibe from this.

*You might want to google that,in combination with,e.g.,geomorphology

depending on size:

transgressve ooid lag deposit,with the fines winnowed out

SO: I tend to agee with Rockwood 

It's about 14 inches long and about 3 inches wide and it's triangular shaped. 

On 2/9/2021 at 3:21 PM, LabRatKing said:

As @jpc and @Rockwood said, I agree this is an absolutely magnificent specimen of geologic origin.

While not a fossil of a living organism, it is a fossil of a not often observed geologic process- a record of ancient earth chemistry to be treasured!

I think, after reading the comments, that it may be something made from hard plastic that has been weather worn, if I'm not misunderstanding the comments. So not honeycomb but still an awesome find. Thanks for the help. I've learned a lot. What a great forum!