Miocene mammal bone help

diginupbones

Found in north central Nebraska. Miocene. I’ve had this in my collection for a while, I don’t know why I overlooked getting it identified. Really a nice little specimen.

A6B90FAF-B191-469C-863E-98EE33075E4B.thumb.jpeg.125b219d04edab39f33050e58ce3d823.jpeg3788C672-ADBA-47A4-B073-984C65F1DE04.thumb.jpeg.b0d5ed2d04b72f52f0d67ef3ab6f5a35.jpegFE3F19AC-B5BC-4716-81FA-180CF7D9A141.thumb.jpeg.29693897bef10318ffd622c39da5d256.jpeg2D64C7F4-BD58-4409-A0A0-68A171641E5B.thumb.jpeg.771a95c49ed2e0fc9086404d9b242068.jpegAE0B25AA-8A9C-4331-8FCB-D59D2628DCF5.thumb.jpeg.bf709d435b9a72f8f586a35b3b4ad61b.jpeg

Looks like a calcaneus. Maybe a larger arteriodactyl or horse, maybe rhino? I can't help much more than that on miocene.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

12 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

psst(conspiratorial whisper):it's not arteriodactyl(artiodactyl)

Sorry my auto correct, corrected wrongly.

very large mammal calcaneus.  I think it is too long to be a perissodactyl (horse or rhino), so maybe a large artiodactyl or even an entelodont.  

• Thank You 1

hello,

To me the shape looks more artiodactyl than perissodactyl, no idea about entelodont calcanea though.

The size is in the upper cow-range.

Best Regards,

J

• Thank You 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks everyone for getting me pointed in the right direction. I did some searching and found some really good info right here on the forum. It looks like everything is pointing to bison calcaneus. 
413A9396-AD2D-4F36-96E2-F3D54FD2F158.thumb.png.0db8cfafe98aacb56de2fbf111e92a82.png

Agree with the others, calcaneus for sure. Bison or cow seems to be the likely candidate. If it were either of those it would have to be much more recent than Miocene.

I disagree.  Look at the angle of the sustentaculum (fig A-5) compared to yours.... yours is almost 90 degrees.  Also look at the shape of the shaft opposite that same sustentaculum... same A-5.  The bison has a large protuberance, whereas yours is flat all along that surface (more like the cow in Fig B-5).  The preservation also looks Miocene, not recent or Pleistocene.  

I don't know what to call it, but I would not call it Bison or Bos.  I know there are some here who know their Pleistocene critters way better than I do.  Whatta you folks think?

14 minutes ago, jpc said:

I disagree.  Look at the angle of the sustentaculum (fig A-5) compared to yours.... yours is almost 90 degrees.  Also look at the shape of the shaft opposite that same sustentaculum... same A-5.  The bison has a large protuberance, whereas yours is flat all along that surface (more like the cow in Fig B-5).  The preservation also looks Miocene, not recent or Pleistocene.  

I don't know what to call it, but I would not call it Bison or Bos.  I know there are some here who know their Pleistocene critters way better than I do.  Whatta you folks think?

Very good points. I see similarities in both bison  and cow but neither one seem to be an exact match.  @Harry Pristis

52 minutes ago, diginupbones said:

Very good points. I see similarities in both bison  and cow but neither one seem to be an exact match.  @Harry Pristis

I concur.  I did some comparisons earlier, and couldn't find a good match.  The calcaneum is the right size for bison, but it has the wrong conformation, I think.  If it is indeed Miocene in age, there a number of possibilities.  A good comparison collection would be almost essential for an ID is this case.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

2 hours ago, diginupbones said:

I a calcaneum once, described in this thread below.  It was a little longer than 3.5 inches, but it was carnivore!!!  You might compare the shape to yours.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/42376-calcaneum-crab-claw/

image.png.f89423613244dde72a69e2656af64a5f.png

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"