My first serious attempt

Ludwigia

I used to like drawing when I was a teenager, but I've hardly done anything along that line since then. Now, having been inspired by Kane's artistic talent, I decided a while ago to pick up a couple of sketching methods and have spent the last month or so on and off practicing various techniques and trying my hand with things like apples, balls and vases. Last week I figured it was time to get down to something more up my line, so of course I picked out a nice ammonite which I wanted to attempt to reproduce on paper. No easy undertaking, I must say. They have a heck of a lot more shadows and shiny spots than the previously mentioned objects and reproducing a spiral is not as easy as it is with a ball. I didn't count the exact number of hours I spent creating this, but I must have had at least 10 sittings at the kitchen table averaging about an hour. Here it is. My first serious attempt at sketching: :ammo3:...but seriously:

Feb_2021.thumb.jpg.d5464e8d1db3b128afff15df3323b589.jpg

And here's the original:

A1576a.thumb.jpg.4efa88ad58eafbf8f13289eebaa6434f.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 18

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Wonderful, it looks just like the original ammonite, I can tell you focused on every crack and shade and line. Great job

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Fantastic, Roger! I secretly had no doubt you had it in you... If one is gifted in one art form, the probability at doing well in another is much higher. :) You've heeded one of the most important lessons about drawing from life: to draw what you actually see and not what you think you see. Bravo! :dinothumb: :ammo3:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

50 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Wonderful, it looks just like the original ammonite, I can tell you focused on every crack and shade and line. Great job

Thanks. Like I mentioned, I've tried following Kane's example and I know how he works. You need an awful lot of patience. I'm pretty satisfied with this, but it's still gonna take a long time, if not forever, before I manage to get to Kane's level.

41 minutes ago, Kane said:

Fantastic, Roger! I secretly had no doubt you had it in you... If one is gifted in one art form, the probability at doing well in another is much higher. :) You've heeded one of the most important lessons about drawing from life: to draw what you actually see and not what you think you see. Bravo! :dinothumb: :ammo3:

Thank you, O Meister! On my honor, I promise to do my best :tiphat:

12 minutes ago, RuMert said:

Looks great:Smiling:

11 minutes ago, PFOOLEY said:

Nice work, Roger.

Thank you gentlemen :D

My goodness, Roger! I'm not at all surprised but I am impressed!  You understand your subject intimately, of course, and your artistic interpretation capture's it beautifully!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

42 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

My goodness, Roger! I'm not at all surprised but I am impressed!  You understand your subject intimately, of course, and your artistic interpretation capture's it beautifully!

Thank you very much!

Nicely done Roger! It looks like you have the talent for it, and I have a feeling that you will be to Kane’s level a lot sooner than you think. Great work! :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Roger you are off to a great start. When you feel comfortable, experiment with different media (eg. crayon, markers, pencils, watercolor, acrylics) different techniques (eg. airbrush, carbon dusting, brush types) go with your gut as to which you like. 

41 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Nicely done Roger! It looks like you have the talent for it, and I have a feeling that you will be to Kane’s level a lot sooner than you think. Great work! :thumbsu:

Thanks for the encouraging words.

32 minutes ago, fossilcrazy said:

Roger you are off to a great start. When you feel comfortable, experiment with different media (eg. crayon, markers, pencils, watercolor, acrylics) different techniques (eg. airbrush, carbon dusting, brush types) go with your gut as to which you like. 

And thanks for the tips.

7 hours ago, Kane said:

'struth!

11 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

but seriously:

Arghh!! I am envious* like hell!! Your first attempt and so wonderfull! Great, great, great!!

*I am not suffering from envy normally, just two "things" create this felling in me: Seeing a good drawing/painting and hearing good piano... Things I would like to master somewhat myself, but will never do.

So I am relying on gifted people like you :).

Thanks for sharing! 
Franz Bernhard

Hi,

Nice result, I like to see the comparison between your drawing and the original, it allows to see the precision of your work.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

7 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

'struth!

:D

3 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Arghh!! I am envious* like hell!! Your first attempt and so wonderfull! Great, great, great!!

*I am not suffering from envy normally, just two "things" create this felling in me: Seeing a good drawing/painting and hearing good piano... Things I would like to master somewhat myself, but will never do.

So I am relying on gifted people like you :).

Thanks for sharing! 
Franz Bernhard

2 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Nice result, I like to see the comparison between your drawing and the original, it allows to see the precision of your work.

Coco

Thank you both for your kind words. This gives me encouragement to carry on. I'm already seeing a few spots where I can still improve on the original sketch.

1 hour ago, RJB said:

If thats your first serious attempt, then you have another talent my friend. 

RB

Good to know, Ron :D Thanks!

34 minutes ago, fossisle said:

Great drawing!!

Thank you.