Elephant bird egg

Crazyhen

Just now, Crazyhen said:

But what was it made of?

No idea but kind of looks like a cantaloupe or a giant pistachio

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Could be a gourd.

I was thinking the same. There looks like a stem attachment point that might have been sanded down/molded over.

Scaling it by your hand, it is too small for an Elephant Bird egg, in any case.

• Enjoyed 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here are a few from the Gallery of Paleontology and Comparative Anatomy of the National Museum of Natural History in Paris for comparison.  My size 10 1/2 size shoe for scale.

blogentry-1906-0-61941600-1368285677.jpg.6ccfcaf6097c18ee445d922c658ba7b0.jpg

• Thank You 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

looks like an internal plaster cast of an extant species to me.

you can see the place where the plaster was poured into a hole in the the original egg shell or mold, which was then removed, below.

Additionally, the weathering is far too uniform and was brushed/dribbled from the same locus point.

Most importantly, the dimensions vs weight don't pan. 

From Guinness world Records:

The largest egg on record weighed 2.589 kg (5 lb 11.36 oz) and was laid by an ostrich (Struthio camelus) at a farm owned by Kerstin and Gunnar Sahlin (Sweden) in Borlänge, Sweden, on 17 May 2008.

fake egg.jpg

41 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

It measures 26cm in length, 20cm in diameter and weighs 1.6kg

Just checked the measurement of a real elephant bird egg, the size and weight are similar.

15 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

looks like an internal plaster cast of an extant species to me

what extant species has an egg that big?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

23 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

what extant species has an egg that big?

Good question? I think I was typing faster than I was thinking...nothing extant that big, LOL

If I may dare:

"you can see the place where the plaster was poured into a hole in the the original egg shell or mold, which was then removed, below."

Piercing an hole into an original egg shell, pouring plaster into it and then removing (i.e., breaking into many fragments) the shell in order to sell the fake inside content doesn't sound like a particularly astute procedure, A mould is a much more likely approach.

• I Agree 1