Hell Creek Private (not so much expensive) sites?

TheItalianPaleo

Hi everyone,

So, after 11 years of collecting fossils around Europe (and this is so much time ‘cause I’m pretty young) I’m pretty bored of not finding Dino and reptile bones (except for a Crocodile tooth set).

So I was thinking (and I ask this mainly to the Americans): Other than the associations that you have to pay them like 100$ per day or 1000$ a week (Paleo adventures, Hell Creek fossils, ecc.), there are other quarries in Hell Creek that you don’t have to pay a lot?

I actually see people that go by themself or with their 2 friends excavating in Hell Creek, and even if there isn’t a person who helps them, so I was thinking this: going with my paleontologist friend.

I hope you understand what I have write, and as always, sorry for my english.

TheItalianPaleo

No there are no areas in the HC that you can go collecting without obtaining landowners permission to access their property .    Everything in the Hell Creek that is legally collectable is on private land.  Most of the better areas are already tied up with commercial or private collectors or museums.  Why these pay to collect groups exist.

• I found this Informative 2

1100 a week! This is a lot for my budget.

I was searching like a private rancher, who don’t wants a lot of money

40 minutes ago, TheItalianPaleo said:

1100 a week! This is a lot for my budget.

I was searching like a private rancher, who don’t wants a lot of money

So you are searching for someone who has a very valuable resource, for which the going rate is ~1,100/wk, and is willing to give it to you for next to nothing.  Does that seem reasonable or realistic to you?  Are you personally in the habit of giving your most valuable possessions away to strangers?

Don

1 hour ago, jpc said:

PM sent

I actually had a similar question regarding White River Formation material  (albeit with more realistic expectations;)). I tried to PM a certain subject matter expert here on the forum only to find out they could not receive messages. I assume it's because they receive a deluge of similar inquiries. Thanks in advance to anyone who can PM me with any info, and sorry @TheItalianPaleo for high jacking your post.

19 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

So you are searching for someone who has a very valuable resource, for which the going rate is ~1,100/wk, and is willing to give it to you for next to nothing.  Does that seem reasonable or realistic to you?  Are you personally in the habit of giving your most valuable possessions away to strangers?

Don

You don’t understand.

So i haven’t got a big wallet, so like a 1000$ is the maximum for an excavation, plus the passport are 450$, ‘cause I’m from Italy, plus the overseas fly (another 400$), the insurance 100$, the Hotel (500$) with lunch and dinner, and other things another 200$.

2650$ for a single person is a lot for my “Italian wallet” ( and I need to come with another person that I need to pay for him).

im not pretending anything, but watch the price.

I would spend it but you know, I have not a big wallet

12 minutes ago, Fossilis Willis said:

I actually had a similar question regarding White River Formation material  (albeit with more realistic expectations;)). I tried to PM a certain subject matter expert here on the forum only to find out they could not receive messages. I assume it's because they receive a deluge of similar inquiries. Thanks in advance to anyone who can PM me with any info, and sorry @TheItalianPaleo for high jacking your post.

Ask what you want, if the people respond to your message I will listen to their answers so can I have ideas for the future;)

3 minutes ago, TheItalianPaleo said:

You don’t understand.

... I have not a big wallet

Neither do I.  I am quite familiar with not being able to afford to do everything I would like to do.

Don

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

@TheItalianPaleo 

Discussion of pricing and possible ranchers/guides should be done via PM (as some members have done). 

Anyone wanting to suggest other possibilities should do it via PM.  

Thanks for your understanding.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

@TheItalianPaleo,

yes, its not easy to understand for Europeans this "High-price Dino Dig Sites" in North America. Point is, that everything has been spoiled by court cases etc. around some famous Dinos from that general area. Every rancher out there is alert, when strange fossil hunters are approaching them. Some have made contracts with museums, digging companies etc. Some take much money, some less, to allow access. Some simply refuse access, even if some "big" money is offered. There are many threads about this subject here on TFF.

Well, I find 2000 Euro for a week of Dino digging not so much, more like a bargain (I am living on a very restricted budged, too). Maybe because I will never do it? I am simply not interested in collecting Dino fossils nor in travelling so far again, at least at the moment.

As already said, most of us life on a more or less restricted money or time budged; we can not afford all what we want at once. If you wish to make such a trip really deep inside your heart, put aside a certain amount of money every month. You will see, it will not take long and you can make your trip. Meanwhile, you have time enough to really deeply inform yourself about the subject and select a company fitting your desire most closely.

All the best!
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 5
  • I Agree 1

49 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

@TheItalianPaleo,

yes, its not eayy to understand for Europeans this "High-price Dino Dig Sites" in North America. Point is, that everything has been spoiled by court cases etc. around some famous Dinos from that general area. Every rancher out there is alert, when strange fossil hunters are approaching them. Some have made contracts with museums, digging companies etc. Some take much money, some less, to allow access. Some simple refuse access, even if some "big" money is offered. There are many threads about this subject here on TFF.

Well, I find 2000 Euro for a week of Dino digging not so much, more like a bargain (I am living on a very restricted budged, too). Maybe because I will never do it? I am simply not interested in collecting Dino fossils nor in travelling so far again, at least at the moment.

As already said, most of us life on a more or less restricted money or time budged; we can not afford all what we want at once. If you wish to make such a trip really deep inside your heart, put aside a certain amount of money every month. You will see, it will not take long and you can make your trip. Meanwhile, you have time enough to really deeply inform yourself about the subject and select a company fitting your desire most closely.

All the best!
Franz Bernhard

In fact I’m collecting money from hard work, in my school (an agricolture formation school) sometimes we work in the summer and they pay a little amount of money, not to much, but generally depends on the work you do.

Like this year Im starting as a farmer.

It’s not guaranteed how many euros they give to you but i can tell is 1/4 of the price I said previously.

There are so many other places to explore, let alone the possibility of spending 2k euro and not finding anything or worse, having found something not being able to extract it 

Also why limit oneself to dinosaurs, there are many impressive reptiles and other fossils

f9636839d8d28d294e7c365b407a6582.png

• Enjoyed 3
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, RuMert said:

There are so many other places to explore, let alone the possibility of spending 2k euro and not finding anything or worse, having found something not being able to extract it 

Also why limit oneself to dinosaurs, there are many impressive reptiles and other fossils

f9636839d8d28d294e7c365b407a6582.png

So thanks for your advice on Morrison Formation.

About the reptile talks, I don’t prefer, ‘cause I keep one of my biggest secret as an Italian “paleo” (‘cause Im not really a paleo) that I don’t want to discuss, and this is a very strange and such a dangerous situation, which made me less interested in reptile fossils.

Generally it's difficult getting permission to hunt on a ranch as an individual or small group. Your best bet to hunt in the Hell Creek or other vertebrate fossil bearing formations in the American west is to join a fossil hunting group.

On 2/11/2021 at 4:08 PM, JohnJ said:

Anyone wanting to suggest other possibilities should do it via PM.  

Thanks for your understanding.

;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ