Fossil fish armour?

Bradley Flynn

I photographed this fossil this morning, not sure what it could be. It seems fishy. though. 

Witteberg group

Witpoort formation

Late Devonian

I did measure the specimen at 20mm x 20mm

IMG_20210213_182837.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2

By the way, as far as I know, there are no known actinopterygian fossils from the Devonian of South Africa, so this is scientifically important.

• I found this Informative 6

@jdp this would be awesome if it is in fact a skull element of an actinopterygian sp. Do you have any references material I could compare this specimen to? Thanks for your help:dinothumb:

So I was a little wrong when I said no actinopt material was known from South Africa. There are fish fossils known from the Witteberg in the uppermost Devonian; there were reported by Gardiner in 1969 and subsequently in 1973. His descriptions are quite rough as was typical of a lot of Gardiner's work, but this might be what he called Mentzichthys. I would still recommend following up with Robert Gess, though.

Thank you @jdp

I have read that possibly 9 actinopterygian sp has been described in the Witteberg group. Below are some described taxa from the Witteberg group.

Placodermi 

Acanthodii 

Chondrichthyes

Actinopterygii 

Sarcopterygii 

I am in contact with a paleontologist that focuses primarily on the devonian formations in the Western Cape. Thank you for all your input:dinothumb: I will update this thread as soon as I have a definitive answer. 

• I found this Informative 1