Texas Marine Turtle

SATXPaleo

Uncovered in North San Antonio Texas in an area I believe to have been under water at some point and had an abundance of marine life.  These appear to be back flippers of different shapes and sizes. The largest one being 14.5 inches. This suggests a rather large creature. I'm thinking marine turtles.  . I will post the " flippers" first. I will post what I believe to be the heads of these turtles next. The largest having a circumference of 27 inches.20210209_150729.thumb.jpg.dfe251a9eff538c057a31d410d72150a.jpg

These look like hunks of limestone. You can find possibly fossils within as it is a sedimentary rock but these aren't fossils.

• I Agree 1

Marine vertebrate fossils would also show distinct bones, as it is exceedingly rare and only under very precise conditions that skin preserves. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

As others have said, limestone, not turtle flipper. I see some spots that might be fossils, but can’t say for sure without closeup photos. A turtle flipper would not preserve in 3d form with skin and in original shape and size. 

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

More pictures have not changed my mind. These are not turtle flippers.

• I found this Informative 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

More pictures have not changed my mind. These are not turtle flippers.

don't ask for more photos when it is very obviously solely geologic. 

I've seen many with pareidolia ignore the plethora of comments stating its only a rock and cherry picking the kind folk who entertain their uninformed speculation.

This was clearly not a fossil from the first 0.3 seconds the image hit my retinas.

IMG_0188.thumb.jpeg.1c7326e1d6400b15dae49f19cb2e9344.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Zenmaster6 said:

don't ask for more photos when it is very obviously solely geologic. 

I've seen many with pareidolia ignore the plethora of comments stating its only a rock and cherry picking the kind folk who entertain their uninformed speculation.

This was clearly not a fossil from the first 0.3 seconds the image hit my retinas.

I know that this isn’t a turtle flipper. Closer/ clearer images were requested as there are some potential fossils in the areas I’ve circled. I am by no means saying that those are fossils, but they may be. Clearer images will tell.

• I Agree 1

-Mark Twain

On 2/15/2021 at 10:09 PM, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

IMG_0188.thumb.jpeg.1c7326e1d6400b15dae49f19cb2e9344.jpeg

I know that this isn’t a turtle flipper. Closer/ clearer images were requested as there are some potential fossils in the areas I’ve circled. I am by no means saying that those are fossils, but they may be. Clearer images will tell.

This looks like Feldspar or a metamorphic rock.

• Fossildude19 locked this topic