Indonesian Meg

BellamyBlake

I have here a Meg tooth, around 6", that has been repaired. No restorations have been declared, but I wanted to make sure there were no red flags. Does there appear to be any restorations on this tooth?

Thank you,

Bellamy

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The root shape & texture look wrong. I’m not positive, but I’d say the root is fake.

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, that's how a fake root, often described as natural, looks. As far as I've seen these go - EVERY TIME, BY EVERY SELLER, not just Indonesians. There's no real root bellow (eroded, dissolved, restored)...  Sand and glue was used, sand mixed with glue (sometimes the root is carved out of the "natural matrix" too) in the shape of the root. Nice tooth anyway, if you don't mind root resto and didn't pay a fortune.

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

The root shape & texture look wrong. I’m not positive, but I’d say the root is fake.

1 hour ago, aeon.rocks said:

Yes, that's how a fake root, often described as natural, looks. As far as I've seen these go - EVERY TIME, BY EVERY SELLER, not just Indonesians. There's no real root bellow (eroded, dissolved, restored)...  Sand and glue was used, sand mixed with glue (sometimes the root is carved out of the "natural matrix" too) in the shape of the root. Nice tooth anyway, if you don't mind root resto and didn't pay a fortune.

Thank you both. When questioned, the seller did note that the root was in part carved out of matrix.

I took the tooth. Even with the restorations, it was too good of a bargain to pass up. It'll make for a nice display! 

3 hours ago, aeon.rocks said:

Please make sure to indicate more precisely what you are talking about - when you say, "... as far as I've seen THESE go -" I assume you are referring to INDONESIAN Megalodon teeth. 

Not ALL megalodon teeth have fake roots. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

WAIT. WAIT. WAIT...! 

Are we not going to talk about the green shag carpet in the background...?

Or the tip that has clearly been broken and glued back on. The crack circumnavigates the enamel and there are clear overlaps in the enamel on the lingual side. 

Back to the green shag carpet. Or the purple carpet covered in megs. Where do I get one of those!?!

• Enjoyed 1

1 minute ago, sharkdoctor said:

Back to the green shag carpet. Or the purple carpet covered in megs. Where do I get one of those!?!

1976 :P:D 

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

59 minutes ago, sharkdoctor said:

WAIT. WAIT. WAIT...! 

Are we not going to talk about the green shag carpet in the background...?

Or the tip that has clearly been broken and glued back on. The crack circumnavigates the enamel and there are clear overlaps in the enamel on the lingual side. 

The trailer I grew up in in Appalachia likely still has it...

Probably easier to hunt and skin Oscar the Grouch though...

20 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Please make sure to indicate more precisely what you are talking about - when you say, "... as far as I've seen THESE go -" I assume you are referring to INDONESIAN Megalodon teeth. 

Not ALL megalodon teeth have fake roots. 

Sorry, figured it's clear. Talking about Indonesian teeth. I'm just trying to say that many Indonesian megs in the market have no real root and we often see false descriptions regarding the condition.

Not all, but many have some sort of root issue, probably not all from soil erosion (acid soil?). Size and condition of Indonesan megs suggests dying ground and maybe many of these "fake root teeth" are file teeth. Enamel forms before the dentine and root, because when looking at the dentine inside the enamel, there's no "bone structure". Enamel was filled with the sediment and root simply didn't form (on these back row file replacement teeth, still forming).

Enamel mostlly filled with sediment, no dentine, no root. This is how the tooth in question would look (100% natural, without carving the sediment):

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.5af1ad9119babc1eaa06930112d49a61.jpg

• I Agree 1