Trout McTupelo

Hi All,

I am new to this forum.  I am over my head in what is, in my novice opinion, a preponderance of quartz stone tools that go back to the Pleistocene.  Among the unverified relics, I have found a variety of bones which appear to have been altered for use as tools.  Additionally, they have what appear to be teeth marks at the edges, as if a person was holding them in hand and biting.  I wanted to post a pic of a rib that I think belongs to a Camelid.  I have spent a lot of time looking over pictures of all sorts of mammal ribs, and Camelids come the closest.  Additionally, I viewed a post on this site where a person posted the exact same bone, and said a expert told him it was probably a Camelops. 

Notably, this bone has had the vertebrae side sawed off.  It fits in hand perfectly to accommodate waist level thrashing.  If these are teeth marks, it seems possible it was done intentionally to give the rib more of an abrasive blade for thrashing.

Speculation aside, positively identifying this bone will at least give me some confidence that I am (or am not) in the right period of human history.  

Thanks for your help! 

IMG_5997a.JPG

IMG_5999a.JPG

IMG_5995a.JPG

Looks modern  - lots of rodent gnaw marks - likely cow.

Try the burn test to see if it is modern. 

• I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

35 minutes ago, Trout McTupelo said:

Additionally, they have what appear to be teeth marks at the edges, as if a person was holding them in hand and biting. 

I can’t say the origins of the “teeth marks,” but they definitely aren’t human. If a human tried biting in to a bone like that, our teeth would give way, and in prehistoric times the person would likely starve and/or get an infection in their now seriously injured mouth, both leading to death.  If this is a cow bone as Fossildude suggests (and most likely the truth,) then it probably was just gnawed on by a wild animal. Can you show an image of your “artifacts.”

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

I agree with the modern cow rib... Maybe @Tidgy's Dad gnawed on it though? He either could've been blending in with his little friend, or perhaps even method acting his role in Jurassic Park... :P

• Enjoyed 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Hey, thanks for the quick replies.  I'm settled on "it's a cow, stupid".

Here's a few of the alleged "artifacts" I've been finding, for you Youth Member.

Thanks again!

IMG_5946a.JPG

Oh, the bottom 3 are different hues of quartz, the top I believe something more brittle piece of the local bedrock.

Unfortunately, I am not really seeing any signs of your "artifacts" being worked.  

Artifacts are not my forte, but, I have seen many posted on here. They just look like broken (sharp) slivers of quartz to me. 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, Trout McTupelo said:

Hey, thanks for the quick replies.  I'm settled on "it's a cow, stupid".

Here's a few of the alleged "artifacts" I've been finding, for you Youth Member.

Thanks again!

IMG_5946a.JPG

They don't look like artefacts to me, unfortunately, with the exception of the middle bottom one - but, I'm by no stretch of the imagination an expert on archaeology! Conchoidal fracture typically produces sharp things like this, annoyingly. Also, a coin is not a good form of scale, as it is not universal.

Don't label yourself as 'stupid', either, we don't do that here ;) No need to sell yourself short :)

Also this is my 200th post on the forum!!! 19 days I've been here, goodness me...

• Enjoyed 1

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Well, it would be nice to rule out this bone as well.  Any ideas?

Admittedly, I am treading on the edges of known archaeology with these rock specimens.  It is becoming more and more clear that humans lived in North America for far longer than has previously been believed, some would even say over 100,000 years.  It is within the realm of possibility that we discount certain stones because we simply can't imagine the construction of a truly Pleistocene human environment in America.  I will admit that nothing I have found is flaked or notched in any sort of traditional archaeological sense.  But I do recognize a blatant pattern of human behavior in the specimens I find here, one that is incompatible with natural breakage.  

Thanks for replies!

IMG_6001a.JPG

IMG_6002a.JPG

IMG_6004a.JPG

Looks like another cow bone.  Have you done a burn test?

I don't know what a burn test is, but it would be nice to know for future reference.

More cow, good to know, thanks!  Thought it might be a horse.

2 hours ago, Trout McTupelo said:

I don't know what a burn test is, but it would be nice to know for future reference.

More cow, good to know, thanks!  Thought it might be a horse.

Hit an edge with a lighter. Bone gets charred and smells bad along with black smoke. Fossil bone just gets hot.

39 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Hit an edge with a lighter. Bone gets charred and smells bad along with black smoke. Fossil bone just gets hot.

Beat me to it... Better do it outside, lots of sulphuric gases will be released - smells horrible, and it lingers! (basically just a REALLY strong smell of burning hair, as the proteins in bones are based on sulphur ;))