Book advice

leo9999

Hi, I'm new here. My name is Leo and I'm from Italy. I'm looking for interesting books about paleontology and, in particular, about the transition from water to land. Since I've already read basically everything in Italian (there isn't too much choice actually), I'm looking for something in English. Any advice is welcome :)

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Here is one LINK to explore. 

Have you read this one yet? 

https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Amphibians-Million-Years-Evolution/dp/080189140X

51+2TFCzQGL._SX383_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, leo9999 said:

Hi, I'm new here. My name is Leo and I'm from Italy. I'm looking for interesting books about paleontology and, in particular, about the transition from water to land. Since I've already read basically everything in Italian (there isn't too much choice actually), I'm looking for something in English. Any advice is welcome :)

Ciao Leo! Il libro megliore sobre la transizione de acqua alla terra e "Gaining Ground" de Jennifer Clack. Questo libro e un po tecnico e non sta tradotto in italiano, ma e il primo libro nell questo soggetto. Un altro libro e "Il Pesce che e in Noi" de Neil Shubin (in Inglese, "Your Inner Fish")...questo libro e tradotto in italiano. 

• I Agree 2

There is also "At the Water's Edge" (1999) by Carl Zimmer and the topic is discussed within "Earth Before the Dinosaurs" (2012) by Sebastien Steyer.  Like "Your Inner Fish," these are more mainstream science books geared for the layman.  Jennifer Clack is a researcher in the field.  Her book is more technical but I have heard it is great.  It depends on what you are looking for.

Gaining Ground is...a little technical, but it is not incredibly so. If you are interested in the topic and have a little familiarity with vertebrate anatomy, it's pretty accessible. It is more readable in my opinion than the similar books by Michel Laurin and Robert Carroll, and is also more balanced and focused on issues of general interest to the reader. Michel will bore you to death with discussions of phylogentic methodology and Carroll has a very eclectic approach to a lot of these problems that ends up focusing on what, to me, are some more marginal or fringe hypotheses and ideas. 

I think there may be room on the shelf, so to speak, for a popular book on the problem in the same tone and style as Steve Brusatte's Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs but I am not currently aware of anyone writing or planning to write a book like this. It might be on someone's to-do list.

Ciao Leo,

Benvenuto nel forum!

Seems like "Your Inner Fish" has been recommended quite a number of times now, and is indeed a very good place to start as it's not too technical, translated into various languages and therefore easily accessible. However, did you know that the contents of this book have also been converted into a documentary? It was available on everyone's favourite video site quite some time ago - may be it still is...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett