I can ride my bike again!

Ludwigia

First of all, my utmost sympathy for all of you in the midwest who are snowed in and freezing off your extremities. The worldly weather patterns are wreaking havoc on us lately. Over here in southern Germany the sun is shining again, the temperatures have been rising for the last few days and the last of the snow has turned into vapor in my parts. So it was warm enough to mount my bike again today and take a trip to my favorite shark tooth site. Here's what I came up with. A good selection of various species and a nice Galeocerdo aduncus posterior.

2.jpg.d71dc79760cacef7cbaa5f78711dfca8.jpg

P288a.jpg.6baea19d998223f5075e98f07f87e023.jpg

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 6

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Nice finds!:envy:

• I Agree 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

9 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

Nice finds!:envy:

8 hours ago, bthemoose said:

Looks like a successful day. Thanks for the photos!

Thank you

1 hour ago, Fossilis Willis said:

Nice haul! I know folks who don't have that many teeth in their mouth.:P

Maybe that's why I like collecting teeth :headscratch:

Hi roger, great finds, have you tried sieving for the micro fossils before, they can be very interesting:)

1 hour ago, will stevenson said:

Hi roger, great finds, have you tried sieving for the micro fossils before, they can be very interesting:)

Thanks, Will. I did do that a bit earlier on, but I don't really spend all that much time using the microscope.

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

the last of the snow has turned into vapor in my parts. So it was warm enough to mount my bike again

:envy: we are having lots of snow and low temperatures whole February. The snow is already at the chest level and who knows what will be next. The forecast is -10-15C until the end of the month. No biking and fossiling for me and I'm starting to get worried about my planned trip to the Volga in spring

Hi Roger.  Its just starting to warm up here in Montana.  Weve just gotten past a very cold spell here with our coldest at -35.  Havent been out to the garage for a good couple of weeks.  Need to do some snow plowing too.  Some nice teeth ya got there and glad you can get out and fossil hunt. 

RB

Goodness me, am I jealous... What I wouldn't give to live near a site like that... :drool:

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

4 hours ago, RuMert said:

:envy: we are having lots of snow and low temperatures whole February. The snow is already at the chest level and who knows what will be next. The forecast is -10-15C until the end of the month. No biking and fossiling for me and I'm starting to get worried about my planned trip to the Volga in spring

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Hi Roger.  Its just starting to warm up here in Montana.  Weve just gotten past a very cold spell here with our coldest at -35.  Havent been out to the garage for a good couple of weeks.  Need to do some snow plowing too.  Some nice teeth ya got there and glad you can get out and fossil hunt. 

RB

I must say, I sure am lucky to be living in such a temperate spot right now. Normally the snow stays with us at least through February, so it's quite an unusual phase.

2 hours ago, sharkdoctor said:

So glad to hear that you had a chance to get out. Looks like a fun trip!

Yes it was :)

2 hours ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Goodness me, am I jealous... What I wouldn't give to live near a site like that... :drool:

You could always come for a visit...

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

You could always come for a visit...

I do speak German, nearly fluently, and was planning a trip with some other people, but, Covid said no :(

Du hast auch ein Website und eine Zeitschrift!? Epos, deine Sachen sind ziemlich cool, werde night lügen... Du bist ein echte Paläontologe, wie Pinnochio (ich kann dass buchstabier (buchstab?) nicht :BigSmile:) sägen wurde...

I think my German's a bit rusty, though...

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

3 hours ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

I do speak German, nearly fluently, and was planning a trip with some other people, but, Covid said no :(

Du hast auch ein Website und eine Zeitschrift!? Epos, deine Sachen sind ziemlich cool, werde night lügen... Du bist ein echte Paläontologe, wie Pinnochio (ich kann dass buchstabier (buchstab?) nicht :BigSmile:) sägen wurde...

I think my German's a bit rusty, though...

Not bad at all. Ich bin Redakteur bei Steinkern und schreibe gelegentlich Artikeln für unser Heft und auch für das Zeitschrift "Fossilien". Bin auch anhand meiner Funde Co-author bei einigen wissenschaftlichen Abhandlungen. Ich bin aber Hobby-Palaeontologe. Aber ehrlich, wenn die Covid- Beschränkungen vorbei sind, bist Du bei mir willkommen.

• Thank You 1

On 2/17/2021 at 10:23 PM, Ludwigia said:

Not bad at all. Ich bin Redakteur bei Steinkern und schreibe gelegentlich Artikeln für unser Heft und auch für das Zeitschrift "Fossilien". Bin auch anhand meiner Funde Co-author bei einigen wissenschaftlichen Abhandlungen. Ich bin aber Hobby-Palaeontologe. Aber ehrlich, wenn die Covid- Beschränkungen vorbei sind, bist Du bei mir willkommen.

Vielen vielen Dank! Du hast einen sehr coolen Job, mein Freund, und ich würde dich gerne besuchen, wenn das vorbei ist! Ich bin auch ein Hobby-Paläontologe :D

• I Agree 1

Heatwave here...it is -1c at time of writing. Canceled this weeks annual cold weather trip out due to the snow we got on top of the snowpack yesterday. Quit measuring depth as it’s deep enough my VW is just a trilobite shaped bump in a big drift!

12 hours ago, Everhardus said:

Same here, last week it was possible to ice skate, today felt like spring. Crazy....

Yes, isn't it? I took a walk over the fields today. Will post a few finds later once I get them prepped.

3 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Oh my! Reminds me of home.

Volkswagen Type 1 buried in the snow...that was pretty much all of Germany every winter for many years, was it not? :heartylaugh:

2 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Volkswagen Type 1 buried in the snow...that was pretty much all of Germany every winter for many years, was it not? :heartylaugh:

Actually when I say "home", I mean Canada, but now that you mention it, there was a small iceage over here back in the 60s.

• Enjoyed 1

8 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Actually when I say "home", I mean Canada, but now that you mention it, there was a small iceage over here back in the 60s.

That is even more interesting, had no idea you were from "up north" originally.:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, LabRatKing said:

That is even more interesting, had no idea you were from "up north" originally.:rolleyes:

Actually, born in Cornwall, England and raised near Trawna, Ont.

• I found this Informative 2

12 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Actually, born in Cornwall, England and raised near Trawna, Ont.

There's a joke here about saying "out" and "house" with an English accent and Ontario pronunciation then, right? (I spent a few years in Toronto and Kitchener back in my art school days.)