Shellseeker

I went hunting with @minnbuckeye Monday and in another thread discussed a couple of Hipparion horse teeth I found.

We found lots of fossils.  For example,  here are 3 unusual ones.  One is an Emmons fish tooth, only the 2nd that I have ever found,  another a very rare Osteoderm from Pachyarmatherium_leiseyi, and then an oddly worn dolphin earbone (or at least shaped like a dolphin earbone). In this fossil ID thread,  I am not trying to ID any of these.

IMG_7354crop.thumb.jpg.038a38a5502d5872098e515fbb9c9a1f.jpg

Here is a bone to ID. On all 3 photos, you can see bone on bone wear patterns, which seems to imply this bone is almost complete , as opposed to being a broken fragment. Plus I had seen a similar bone and searching tracked down this bone from @Harry Pristis gallery:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/39751-camel-fibula/

The bone below is 58 (compared to 43.7 in camel) x 48 x 35 mm.  So, is this bone a fibula ?, and if so, which mammals have fibula like this size?

IMG_7332AncleBone.thumb.jpg.ca0a3d3f2c966a04b7dc0532181c5eb6.jpgIMG_7336.thumb.JPEG.06a66e68a1b03d7378d4a2ac102f18e5.JPEGIMG_7333.thumb.JPEG.a1b82e573acb58762b377f4ea0c0cff0.JPEG!!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

cow and bison.   Had no idea that  the fibula could be reduced to such little pieces.    Wonder what this reduction says in terms of weight bearing and motion. a camel, b cow, lastly bisonMaleollar-bone-in-camel-A-and-cow-B_W640.jpg.9301d3b617a44177170c0b1b35303d99.jpg

GetFile.jpg

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

a very rare Osteoderm from Pachyarmatherium_leiseyi,

New taxon for me (and a cause for research). ;) Can we get a scale in a photo with this osteoderm? Curious to see if it is in the same size range as Dasypus bellus which it resembles.

Cheers.

-Ken

17 minutes ago, 10313horn said:

cow and bison.   Had no idea that  the fibula could be reduced to such little pieces.    Wonder what this reduction says in terms of weight bearing and motion. a camel, b cow, lastly bisonMaleollar-bone-in-camel-A-and-cow-B_W640.jpg.9301d3b617a44177170c0b1b35303d99.jpg

GetFile.jpg

Thanks for the reply!!!

Got me focused & found this GREAT 3d image of Bison latifrons fibula at 50 mm across

https://virtual.imnh.iri.isu.edu/Paleo/View/Giant_bison/1063

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

9 minutes ago, digit said:

New taxon for me (and a cause for research). ;) Can we get a scale in a photo with this osteoderm? Curious to see if it is in the same size range as Dasypus bellus which it resembles. Cheers. -Ken

Ken,  They are close!!! Great comparison in this thread

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/43755-amazingly-small-osteoderm/

Measurements on the Osteoderm found this week. Thickness 5.25 mm.  and then 13.3 x 13.5 mm depending how you measure the "almost" circle. 

Scute134.JPG

Scute135.JPG

Scute525.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

On 2/17/2021 at 8:32 PM, Shellseeker said:

I went hunting with @minnbuckeye Monday and in another thread discussed a couple of Hipparion horse teeth I found.

We found lots of fossils.  For example,  here are 3 unusual ones.  One is an Emmons fish tooth, only the 2nd that I have ever found,  another a very rare Osteoderm from Pachyarmatherium_leiseyi, and then an oddly worn dolphin earbone (or at least shaped like a dolphin earbone). In this fossil ID thread,  I am not trying to ID any of these.

Here is a bone to ID. On all 3 photos, you can see bone on bone wear patterns, which seems to imply this bone is almost complete , as opposed to being a broken fragment. Plus I had seen a similar bone and searching tracked down this bone from @Harry Pristis gallery:

The bone below is 58 (compared to 43.7 in camel) x 48 x 35 mm.  So, is this bone a fibula ?, and if so, which mammals have fibula like this size?

Just what is an "Emmons fish"?  The earbone to the left of your osteoderm belonged to manatee, I believe.  I don't recognize the third bone in the image.

Deer, antelope, cows, bison, camelids all have a stubby fibula, but I don't think your find is a fibula, Jack.  I don't recognize it.

camel_fibula.JPG.006fa10c3f48a60b2ecbcf95d729d95d.JPGearboneswhalemanatee.jpg.cf40421677ba1928cd0c871f36141f4a.jpg

• I Agree 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

On 2/18/2021 at 1:32 AM, Shellseeker said:

IMG_7332AncleBone.thumb.jpg.ca0a3d3f2c966a04b7dc0532181c5eb6.jpgIMG_7336.thumb.JPEG.06a66e68a1b03d7378d4a2ac102f18e5.JPEGIMG_7333.thumb.JPEG.a1b82e573acb58762b377f4ea0c0cff0.JPEG!!!

Pachyarmatherium? Never heard of him!

Did a bit of research, and that's a very cool beastie, nice find :D

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

I do not think it's a fibula, although, vertebrates are not my strong point!

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

8 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Just what is an "Emmons fish"?  The earbone to the left of your osteoderm belonged to manatee, I believe.  I don't recognize the third bone in the image.

Deer, antelope, cows, bison, camelids all have a stubby fibula, but I don't think your find is a fibula, Jack.  I don't recognize it.

Harry,

An info packed response. 

Emmons fish tooth is the colloquial name given to fossils similar to this.  I found my 1st 5 years back and was educated by this TFF post.  This is only my 2nd. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/23123-what-are-these-fossils/

:SlapHands: Thanks for your picture of the Manatee ear bone. Hard to admit that I have found and tossed these away in the past thinking them to be a concretion. Similar to the 3rd "fossil" in my photo, it "seems" to be bone in a familiar shape, but may turn out to be concretion. I will keep these in the future.

Eliminating fibula is a step forward.  I also do not recognize it.  Clearly bone , with a lot of bone on bone connection points. Would have to be a smaller bone like tarsals/carpals or the end of a long bone.  I will keep on looking ,but some bones are never identified.

3 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Hey Jack, very nice finds!

Any chance that is a pretty beat up patella? Regards, Chris 

Thanks for opening this thread again. I looked for and found this thread on patellas. It is an outstanding thread and Harry provides insights and great photos/pictures.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/73769-patella/

When not focused on something else,  I keep rolling the fossil in my hands, thinking about the obvious broken spots and the equally obvious unbroken areas..  Always believe that someday while hunting ,I'll see something like it OR some other fossil hunter will. Hope springs eternal.

IMG_7373.thumb.JPEG.22beaf0930b6a933284e5f634c7f423c.JPEGIMG_7374.thumb.JPEG.d3c27680eac41275846852860c9c4acb.JPEGIMG_7375.thumb.JPEG.b418982b192026e4eb3f4f324fd88170.JPEGIMG_7376.thumb.JPEG.7ea643339adaf9202f1bc0e2a55ce53c.JPEGIMG_7377.thumb.JPEG.ca4c95dacc75916b754a533f1f6dcc67.JPEG

Thanks Jack. Yep I remember that thread. Thanks for the additional pictures! I knew I was barking up the wrong tree already after Harry said he didnt recognize it but as usual I continued. Anyways I've got several patellas (non-personal finds) and was rotating them around trying to envision shaving off parts and saw some similarities. I need an easy tool to present 3d views to squelch my overly prone pareidolia .. Hoping one of the UF folks can pick up on something...

Regards, Chris