Hunting Spots In South Lousiana

AmmoniteEBR

This Is my first post. I am a amateur hunter from south Louisiana. I have had a lot of trouble finding fossils. I have found one chrinoid in a creek, but aside from coral,nothing has been found.I have found that the two prominent spots from the days of past have been covered long ago. I also realize I in a area with not a lot of potential for ground or creek fossils. I have done one trip, and found plenty there, but that was a long drive to Texas. I have even emailed people such as LSU and Alabama professors and geologists from Mississippi, Louisiana and Tennessee. Help please!

Welcome to the forum!  I lived in south Louisiana for a couple of decades and can sympathize with your plight. As I’m sure you are aware, virtually all of the sediments in the southern part of the state are very young and fossils are few and far between. I know some folks have found some items in river gravels, but as you are aware, gravel is often even in short supply in the area, most of the sediments are very fine grained. North Louisiana has some locations that you can find, but even they are not common.  Unfortunately, in my opinion, you do indeed have to travel some distance to get to good fossil locations. Texas and central Mississippi are probably the closest to you. You might find some other possibilities if you search the section of the forum on fossil sites for Louisiana or some other members who have spent some time searching in S. La might chime in with more encouragement. 

Welcome to the Fossil Forum. Unfortunately, fossil locations are quite rare in southern Louisiana and do not last long before they are covered up by either plants or people. The best tactic is to participate in the nearest gem and mineralogy / rock club because that is the best source of current and local information on collecting sites. Also, when we get past the current viral unpleasantness, they will be the ones making group rock / fossil trips. An example is the Baton Rouge Gem & Mineral Society.

Yours,

Paul H.

2 hours ago, ClearLake said:

Welcome to the forum!  I lived in south Louisiana for a couple of decades and can sympathize with your plight. As I’m sure you are aware, virtually all of the sediments in the southern part of the state are very young and fossils are few and far between. I know some folks have found some items in river gravels, but as you are aware, gravel is often even in short supply in the area, most of the sediments are very fine grained. North Louisiana has some locations that you can find, but even they are not common.  Unfortunately, in my opinion, you do indeed have to travel some distance to get to good fossil locations. Texas and central Mississippi are probably the closest to you. You might find some other possibilities if you search the section of the forum on fossil sites for Louisiana or some other members who have spent some time searching in S. La might chime in with more encouragement. 

Thank You! It is shard to be a hunter here.

1 hour ago, Oxytropidoceras said:

Welcome to the Fossil Forum. Unfortunately, fossil locations are quite rare in southern Louisiana and do not last long before they are covered up by either plants or people. The best tactic is to participate in the nearest gem and mineralogy / rock club because that is the best source of current and local information on collecting sites. Also, when we get past the current viral unpleasantness, they will be the ones making group rock / fossil trips. An example is the Baton Rouge Gem & Mineral Society.

Yours,

Paul H.

Thanks! I will definitely join when I get the chance.