CMM finds Physogaleus aduncus possible associated dentition

Miocene_Mason

From the Calvert Marine Museum Fossil Club Facebook page, our shark people may enjoy this next twist in the debate:

”Associated shark teeth from the whale collected in 2008. During the excavation a number of teeth were uncovered around the ribs.
All of these teeth are from a tiger shark. The upper and lower positions are a proposed possibility. However, those of you who follow the ever confusing world of shark tooth identification, you’ll notice the “upper” teeth are ones identified as Galeocerdo aduncus and the “lower” teeth are ones identified as Physogaleus contortus.

The fact that there are near symmetrical proportions of teeth between the two tooth types/shaped lead me to consider the possibility that these are from a single individual rather than two different species or sharks.”

*John Nance, CMM paleo collections manager adds: “I’ve been working on prepping the whale some more and uncovered an additional 10 teeth, culminating in this dentition. Since they weren’t articulated there was concern about making a definitive conclusion. 
Dr. Kent does discuss 3 morphotypes in his chapter on the tiger sharks.”

C807F34B-F176-4C8C-9E4E-73CD58A4437F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I’m happy you posted this. This was what Applegate proposed years ago. Here’s Applegates reconstruction. Many other authors have agreed with this arrangement over the years. It makes more sense than having separate species for Galeocerdo (or Physogaleus) aduncus and Physogaleus contortus.

6E4B02EA-5122-45B1-846E-099FEE4F291A.jpeg

• I Agree 1

12 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Associated shark teeth from the whale collected in 2008. During the excavation a number of teeth were uncovered around the ribs.

Do you know if this is going to be published? I hope so.

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Do you know if this is going to be published? I hope so.

Probably at some point, though I’m not sure when. Always hard to prove when a disarticulI think it will be in the CMMFC newsletter The Ecphora. I have an undergrad friend who wants to do a revision on tiger sharks in the next few years, he’s wanting to include this.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason