Stolen Fossils from a University: have you seen one?

rocket

During 2018 and 2020 some rare and spectacular Ammonites had been stored out of the University of Bremen. This was to renew the exhibition. when the exhibition was rebuilt, the fossils were no longer there.

If anyone see on of this ammonites: please contact me (f.raquet@aol.de) or Prof. Lehmann from the University (jens.lehmann@uni-bremen.de). The main aim is to get them back. Be sure that any note or hint about them will be treated confidentially. 

You can see the exhibition at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq0vEppbDHU&t=37s

there between minute 1.38 - 1.45

As I cannot add pdf, please contact me or Jens about the official note to give it around.

Perhaps there will be given a reward when the University gets it back.

thanks for your support.

Please, share it! Ask around, share it in all platforms all over the world. It is a dire situation the fossils are stolen from a museum or in general. Lets do everything to stop this!

thanks Frank

Zusammenstellung.thumb.jpg.8af2e6661228593492d65659d7ddfedf.jpg003b_Tropaeum_drew1i.thumb.jpg.d3eab1692b987da44f55e8a3e14592af.jpg The ammonites are huge (between 40 - 60 cm / around 15 - 25 ") and heavy. 

Please find attached pictures of them and the official note about it003a_Tropaeum_drewi.thumb.jpg.f04b3ec6215eaba224051e6a461f0ed2.jpg2-5_in_Ausstellung.thumb.jpg.0baa758105cbaa2fd926e4bdd340319f.jpg002_Tropaeum_bowerbanki.thumb.jpg.e800d6e9c1b6f86cd98c92c57b35c4b8.jpg001_Australiceras_Gigas.thumb.jpg.528ea77d1aa8757c56a2cae396ee7efe.jpg

thanks, Frank

004_Ammonitoceras.jpg

005_Parahoplites_Cheloniceras.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

13 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

This reminds me of the fossil flowers stolen from Lauritzen Gardens here a few years back.

I have not heard about it. Do you know a report about it or a post? thanks, Frank

@rocket Please also post this on Mindat; they have a specific section for lost and stolen items. A lot of their members are dealers or customers at rock/gem/fossil shows. You may also want to contact the major auction houses that deal in items of natural history such as Christie’s, Bonham’s, Sotheby’s, Swann’s and Heritage.

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Here is a video and still of the fossil flower stolen from Lauritzen Gardens in Omaha in 2019.

I suggest again that we create a section for lost and stolen items. It will be a small section, but will perform a valuable and highly visible public service function just as the one on Mindat. I will help search for previous posts to put in new section.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ketv.com/amp/article/invaluable-flower-fossil-stolen/26397656

7E04FEA6-1652-41DC-9079-85CFC963D60C.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Here is a little more context to understand whats going on: 

" During the transport and relocation of an exhibition between May 2018 and January 2021, a wooden transport box weighing around 150-200 kg (around 330 to 440 lb) was lost, in which five fossils, more precisely large and impressive ammonites, were stored. " 

It's from the search call from the German Steinkern Forum. 

• Enjoyed 1

35 minutes ago, Abstraktum said:

" During the transport and relocation of an exhibition between May 2018 and January 2021, a wooden transport box weighing around 150-200 kg (around 330 to 440 lb) was lost, in which five fossils, more precisely large and impressive ammonites, were stored. " 

Interesting. Stuff gets lost all the time, I guess they weren't necessarily stolen. Hopefully the show up one way or another.

• Enjoyed 1

55 minutes ago, Abstraktum said:

This is good, and all to common. I spent nearly a year digging "lost" specimens out of a literal room of unmarked crates and boxes here on campus. The good news is, I dod not find these in the mess!

• Enjoyed 1

On 2/21/2021 at 1:10 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

@rocket Please also post this on Mindat; they have a specific section for lost and stolen items. A lot of their members are dealers or customers at rock/gem/fossil shows. You may also want to contact the major auction houses that deal in items of natural history such as Christie’s, Bonham’s, Sotheby’s, Swann’s and Heritage.

thanks, Mindat, I forgot and will do. Let´s go to find them! 

On 2/21/2021 at 1:10 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

done

https://www.mindat.org/message.php?m=551778

thanks again