How to stabilize loose sand?

MrBones

Hello,

I have a bit of an odd piece, it's not a fossil, it's a scorpion! The scorpion was in its burrow in a dune when the dune collapsed, I would like to stabalize the sand, so that I can display it. This isn't a particularly important find, so I wouldn't mind if it broke in the process. Keep in mind, I have very limited materials.

Very interesting specimen to display - love it.
I would apply either diluted varnish or diluted wood glue (1:10) with a brush.  Do this several times. But try this on a small area first.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Just now, oilshale said:

Very interesting specimen to display - love it.
I would apply either diluted varnish or diluted wood glue (1:10) with a brush.  Do this several times. But try this on a small area first.

Could work, I heard it goes bad over the years, maybe coat it in some paraloid once I get some?

1 hour ago, MrBones said:

Could work, I heard it goes bad over the years, maybe coat it in some paraloid once I get some?

Agreed, get some paraloid and mix up a solution that is around 30 parts paraloid to 1 part acetone. This is slightly more viscous than the solution I use for consolidating fossils since the acetone content will tend to break up the sand. I would apply with a brush but don't brush it on. Fill the brush with the solution and lightly touch the sand, allowing the matrix to pull the solution out of the brush. If it sucks in instantly, add a bit more paraloid and let it dissolve. If the matrix doesn't absorb the solution, add a bit more acetone. Alternatively, you can apply with an eye dropper.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Agreed, get some paraloid and mix up a solution that is around 30 parts paraloid to 1 part acetone. This is slightly more viscous than the solution I use for consolidating fossils since the acetone content will tend to break up the sand. I would apply with a brush but don't brush it on. Fill the brush with the solution and lightly touch the sand, allowing the matrix to pull the solution out of the brush. If it sucks in instantly, add a bit more paraloid and let it dissolve. If the matrix doesn't absorb the solution, add a bit more acetone. Alternatively, you can apply with an eye dropper.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to wait for some acetone and paraloid.

4 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

A paraloid type fixative would be best in my opinion.

is that arizonensis?

Thanks, I think it's a cape burrowing scorpion.

• Enjoyed 1

Just reiterating at this point but I'd use a thicker than normal Paraloid solution and apply it like Pytchodus04 mentioned. I'm reminded of this incredibly loosely consolidated coarse sandstone at one site of the Timber Lake Member, Fox Hills Formation I've collected at. Basically it'd throw tons of loose sand off the matrix before it was consolidated. What a mess it was at first but it stabilized quite well.

• I found this Informative 1