'Looks like' tiny little bones in limestone, please help ID

Lone Hunter

Found this on gravel bank in creek close to DFW,  in a narrow band of Alluvium smack dab in middle of Fluviatile terrace deposits. I'm not sure what to make of it,  appreciate input!

IMG_20210222_103551767_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210222_103242044_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210222_103541802_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210222_103330836_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210222_103312223_HDR.jpg

Not bones, but crinoid columnals, I believe.

Similar Specimen

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Never would have guessed that, too many odd shapes that look nothing like crinoids I'm used to finding.  Thanks!

No problems, happy to help!

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

I agree that these are likely from a crinoid, but I suspect they are cirri or roots/holdfast pieces.

crinoid-basic-anatomy.jpg

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Did I say columnals? I meant pieces! The moment I realise I know what something is, I mess up the English... :DOH:

19 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

The moment I realise I know what something is, I mess up the English... :DOH:

That isn't messed up English... this is >>    Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to
present the present.   :D

• Enjoyed 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

@Lone Hunter 

These rocks are not native to the bedrock formations in Tarrant or Dallas County, TX.  They have been trucked in and used in various upstream locations as erosion control.  They likely originate from quarries in Wise or Parker counties.

• I found this Informative 5

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

1 hour ago, daves64 said:

That isn't messed up English... this is >>    Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to
present the present.   :D

It makes sense though!

Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to give the gift! :BigSmile:

• 5 months later...
On 2/22/2021 at 1:28 PM, JohnJ said:

@Lone Hunter 

These rocks are not native to the bedrock formations in Tarrant or Dallas County, TX.  They have been trucked in and used in various upstream locations as erosion control.  They likely originate from quarries in Wise or Parker counties.

I concur.   My best Pennsylvanian age Spirifer brachiopod was found in road gravel that had spilled down a hill into Cretaceous age "Pawpaw Shale"

Edited by LanceH

I also found brachiopod in same place same circumstance, makes it difficult to ID things but then I get to find fossils I normally wouldn't.