Suspect Bison tooth, Austin

Jared C

Hey ya'll

Recently I made a trip to a creek in Austin that I'd been to once before when it produced two Bison molars as well as a piece of Columbian Mammoth enamel (thanks for those ID's btw!)

After the snow melted I hit two spots really hard in hopes of shark teeth - no success, but in the same general area I found the mammal teeth last time, I found what I believe to be another bison tooth. Since it isn't fossilized though (I think), it may also just be a recent deer tooth. It's a different tooth compared to the others I've found, so I'd just like to check on an Id. Below are photos.

20210220_205840.thumb.jpg.26d9f12c3d3181252184c46c127defa6.jpg20210220_205849(0).thumb.jpg.3f3f811c13d7518efe5f50e4c5492f41.jpg20210220_205930.thumb.jpg.9889000be6a84cf34db9379a7d28a44f.jpg20210220_205905(0).thumb.jpg.1ed1f2dccbc067002b624c0fa0deb0ce.jpg

This tooth also has many more dark colors to it than the other two teeth I found, which were almost uniformly cream. Does this mean that this tooth is older, or that it was simply exposed to the sun and silt a little longer? Thanks for any input.

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Are you sure it is fossilised? It looks modern to me. Try the burn test.

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Just now, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Are you sure it is fossilised? It looks modern to me. Try the burn test.

I dont believe that works on teeth

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Just now, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

It looks modern to me

I agree - the last teeth I found looked modern as well, but they ID'd it as bison, not old enough to be fossilized by any means but old enough to be cool still. I'm pretty positive it's probably not fossilized, maybe just preserved to an extent

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

6 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks!

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

5 minutes ago, Jared C said:

I agree - the last teeth I found looked modern as well, but they ID'd it as bison, not old enough to be fossilized by any means but old enough to be cool still. I'm pretty positive it's probably not fossilized, maybe just preserved to an extent

Ah, fair enough, I retract my statement!

5 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Top Trilo is correct, this doesn't work on teeth.

This tooth is bovid. As I mentioned in your last thread better pictures of the stylid (the thickness at both ends of it) are needed for identification. Exact measurements are also useful characters in Bison vs. Bos.

• I found this Informative 2

7 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

This tooth is bovid

Nice - I'm still inexperienced in telling what's what with appearances.

The stylid is much different to the others as it doesn't have a flat top, it just tapers into a point. It is, however, firmly and rigidly attached to the rest of the tooth. I'm up on the go for a while so I'll try and get photos on at some point.

51 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Thank you very much Harry, I'll add it to the list!