First time poster... need some help with an ID

great-britton-fossils

Hello!

This is my first time posting, and found this in my collection the other day. Anyone have an idea? Thanks for the help!

Britton

unknown1.jpg

unknown2.jpg

unkown3.jpg

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you have a straight (orthoconic) nautiloid. Any idea where it came from or what age it is?

• I Agree 2

Welcome to the forum from Texas! This is an Orthoceras, likely from Morocco based on the preservation.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

10 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

Welcome to the forum from Texas! This is an Orthoceras, likely from Morocco based on the preservation.

Yep, from Morrocco and that's all I knew. Thanks so much!

10 hours ago, ClearLake said:

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you have a straight (orthoconic) nautiloid. Any idea where it came from or what age it is?

From Morocco.

More likely Geisonoceras, as I believe Orthoceras is restricted to its type specimen in the Baltic region ( @Tidgy's Dad knows more about them than I do). 

• I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It’s interesting to see a specimen that isn’t polished from that area. From what I know, it is most likely from the Atlas Mountains there.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Most of these come from the south of Morocco in the Anti Atlas region, many from Erfoud and the surrounding areas. 

They are chiefly Early to Middle Devonian in age , though there are some Late Silurian and Late Devonian ones that look like this. 

Kane is right in saying that the genus Orthoceras is now restricted to the type species O. regularis from the Middle Ordovician of the Balto-Scandinavian region. 

Many are from the family Geisonoceratidae, but not all are even orthocerids, orthoconic Pseudorthocerida and Actinocerida are also common. You need to be an expert and / or have a precise location to get to genus level in your ids. 

Your specimen has dips in the centre of the chamber between the septa that may help reduce the number of candidates. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png