German Shark Teeth

BellamyBlake

I bought a set of shark teeth from the Eocene of Fürstenau, Germany. I have some pretty decent shots of them, though these are the only photographs available for now. 1 cm - 3.5 cm is the range

Really I have no idea on species, and nor does the seller. Some appear to be sand tigers, and indeed upon researching the locality those are described from there. Others from that locality include Otodus auriculatus and Isurus praecursor, and those were the ones I was really after. And while I cannot seem to see any of the former, I do believe a few are Praecursor.

I'm attaching photographs here. The third photograph has the teeth I believe to be Isurus praecursor highlighted. Could anyone confirm this? I'd also appreciate any IDs on the others.

Thank you,

Bellamy

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

2 hours ago, BellamyBlake said:

3.jpg

The blade of the circled bottom tooth is reminiscent of Carcharoides sp., but I'm not sure of the root

• I found this Informative 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

The ones with striations on the blade are likely striatolamia, they are a bit fragmentary to get a sold id:) 

Hi Bellamy,

First of all, the teeth from Furstenau do tend to look like those - broken or worn or broken and worn.  The more slender of the circled teeth is too slender for Isurus praecursor.  The other one may be an early mako.

Jess

16 hours ago, Pemphix said:

Thank you, interesting read! :)

13 hours ago, hemipristis said:

The blade of the circled bottom tooth is reminiscent of Carcharoides sp., but I'm not sure of the root

Thank you :)

13 hours ago, will stevenson said:

The ones with striations on the blade are likely striatolamia, they are a bit fragmentary to get a sold id:) 

Thank you, I'm happy with Striatolamia haha. I think that's as far as we'll get!

3 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Bellamy,

First of all, the teeth from Furstenau do tend to look like those - broken or worn or broken and worn.  The more slender of the circled teeth is too slender for Isurus praecursor.  The other one may be an early mako.

Jess

Thank you Jess, I appreciate it. The bottom circled tooth certainly looks like the other Praecursor teeth I have, and it seems you also believe it could be. I'll go with that ID on that one :)

5 hours ago, BellamyBlake said:

Thank you, interesting read! :)

Thank you :)

Thank you, I'm happy with Striatolamia haha. I think that's as far as we'll get!

Thank you Jess, I appreciate it. The bottom circled tooth certainly looks like the other Praecursor teeth I have, and it seems you also believe it could be. I'll go with that ID on that one :)

Can you add a profile view?  From the angle provided it looks a bit flat for a mako and I think someone said the early ones from Europe are thicker than the early ones from North America.

Jess 

57 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Can you add a profile view?  From the angle provided it looks a bit flat for a mako and I think someone said the early ones from Europe are thicker than the early ones from North America.

Jess 

Thank you Jess, I appreciate the insight; I'll post more detailed photographs once they arrive. Those were just pics from the individual who sold them

15 hours ago, BellamyBlake said:

Thank you Jess, I appreciate the insight; I'll post more detailed photographs once they arrive. Those were just pics from the individual who sold them

Okay.  I have an auriculatus from there.  The other teeth I have appear to be Striatolamia.  They show a lot of water wear.  I got them in a trade a long time ago.

Jess