Fossilised bone, probably a large mammal

JohnBurrows

Hi all, 

I'd appreciate any input you have on this piece please. I bought a lot at auction only labelled 'North Sea Pleistocene'. I live in the UK, so there's a fair bit of coast that can get North Sea fossils washed up, usually nowadays seems to be Norfolk area - unfortunately I have no way of knowing whether that is the locale. 

This measures 170x100x50MM approx at its longest/widest points. I suspect its from a sort of deer/small horse sized mammal but don't really have any further ideas. It could have broken off something larger. 

Thanks in advance for any input! 

John

Fossilised mammal bone (1).JPG

Fossilised mammal bone (2).JPG

Fossilised mammal bone (3).JPG

Fossilised mammal bone (5).JPG

Fossilised mammal bone (6).JPG

Fossilised mammal bone (7).JPG

17 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

Mammal scapula

yes.  And it is missing quite a bit, especially on the end away from the concave cup.  That is where the humerus attaches, btw.  

• I found this Informative 1

I would say it's still a decent specimen, because in mammals in general, as the scapula extends away from the proximal end (the cup-like end) the bone gets thinner and therefore more fragile and easily eroded or broken.  Most scapula specimens that have been found are incomplete.  I have an Allodesmus (extinct genus of pinniped) scapula that is missing most of the bone not too far past the proximal end but am happy to have it because it is a rare find as it is.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1