Dinosaur Egg?

Agate Guy

I'm looking at what is being called a dinosaur egg (actually a pteradactyl egg, which I think is incorrect as it is too big).  The seller says it was found in southern Minnesota.  The seller says it was found 14 years ago and at the time, two people at the museum of natural history said it was a pteradactyl egg and showed where the beak is curled around the ball section in the middle.  She said it split naturally.  In looking at it using the information I've found on the internet and at this site; I'm wondering if it is a concretion of mud around a foreign body. I really want this to be a fossil but....  Size 15cm x 7.5cm.  Basically a somewhat flattened circle.  Seller asked me to research since I said I was unsure it was what she thought it was. Thank you for your help.

IMG_6948.jpgIMG_6963.jpg

IMG_6949.jpg  IMG_6957.jpg

Images would help. Based on the size described and the location a pterosaur egg (or any other egg) can almost certainly be ruled out, but images would still help for assessment.

I'd say about 90% of the "eggs" posted on here end up being concretions or some other mineral/rock. 

I don't believe any dinosaur or pterodactyl eggs have ever been found in Minnesota.  :unsure: 

That right there is a red flag.  :( 

• I Agree 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

31 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I'd say about 90% of the "eggs" posted on here end up being concretions or some other mineral/rock. 

I don't believe any dinosaur or pterodactyl eggs have ever been found in Minnesota.  :unsure: 

That right there is a red flag.  :( 

99.5%

• I found this Informative 1

27 minutes ago, Zenmaster6 said:

99.9999%

(100 × (3 ÷ 3))%

• I Agree 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

@Agate Guy

Please upload the images as jpg files to give more members a chance to view them.  Thanks.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Agreed not an egg but still cool

image.png.3e067fe4bceba3618f938ba830f37d1b.png

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Definitely a  concretion

There is no egg shell texture, or egg shell apparent. 

So many people trying to cash in on rocks they believe are fossils.  :shakehead:

• I Agree 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

7 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

So many people trying to cash in on rocks they believe are fossils. 

Look at the bright side. The lottery players regularly lower your tax bill by increasing their contribution. 

11 hours ago, Zenmaster6 said:

Btw love your INVERTEBRATES FOR THE WIN!!! tag.

Haha, Thank you very much! :BigSmile:

• Enjoyed 1

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

10 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Agreed not an egg but still cool

image.png.3e067fe4bceba3618f938ba830f37d1b.png

Yeap, that's a concretion alright! 

Thanks everyone for your input. That's what I thought too but not sure.   Seller wanted me to check because she doesn't want to be dishonest. She is removing the listing. 

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 2

1 minute ago, Agate Guy said:

Seller wanted me to check because she doesn't want to be dishonest. She is removing the listing. 

Now that is refreshing to hear. :default_clap2:

• I Agree 3

As concretions go, this one is magnificent. There is something zen-like about a geologic specimen that round. One of my many useless collections is of rocks I found like this...one produced a fossil crab two decades after finding it as it rolled off my desk and broke!

• Enjoyed 1

I had a beautiful concretion once.  I thought something might be inside so I tried to break it open.  No joy.  I even took a sledge hammer to it.  I couldn't chip the surface.  No way it would roll of my desk and break, lol!  It's difficult to describe, but imagine a perfectly symmetrical football but, instead of points on the ends, it had the ends of fat sausage like tips sticking out.  Like one of those hot dogs baked in a bun but perfectly smooth all the way around.  It was as if one concretion, like a sausage, had been engulfed by another concretion, leaving only the ends sticking out.  Something told me to take it to a place and bury it so I did.  About 700 miles away.  Maybe a kajillion years from now someone will dig it up and say "Hey, this is not from here."  And then they'll be perplexed.

2 hours ago, HuckMucus said:

No way it would roll of my desk and break, lol! 

On the contrary. I'm sure it would.       

If you didn't want it to.  :)

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

On the contrary. I'm sure it would.       

If you didn't want it to.  :)

That's true.  Murphy's Law and all that.  I'm a constant victim.  Don't get me started on physics!

• Enjoyed 1