Went for a walk today...

Ludwigia

...over a few fields. With a bit of driving in between.

Although spring has not officially sprung yet, I noticed that the farmers in my area are behaving like it's already arrived and are beginning to plow up some of their fields, so yesterday I figured I'd head out to the ones around Blumberg and Geisingen to see if their colleagues are doing the same. Sure enough, some of my favorite fields were freshly plowed. I also stopped in to the old clay pit just for nostalgia's sake. The productive layers there have been unreachable unter meters of debris for a long time now, but I managed to find a couple of weathered blocks which contained a few small ammonites. Prepping wasn't all that difficult, so I got most of the finds done today, although there are still a few bivalves to work on.

A1672a.thumb.jpg.74919175e1b314b40e47246a12366a47.jpg

Prorsisphinctes pseudomartinsi. ø8cm.

A1673a.thumb.jpg.bf4428fe1733bb77c3163daddfa24502.jpg

Caumontisphinctes sp. ø 6cm.

L382a.thumb.jpg.aaa9fc5916060a96e3c83d7fb06b30fa.jpg

Pressastarte sp. 4,5cm. wide

1.jpg.3c423608a288c0a8987bf1d309d7bd30.jpg

Ludwigella sp.

1a.jpg.c7f5aa8d954162656c95aebac6b3fea0.jpg

Graphoceras decorum

1.jpg.0f8ecc2b60d99a0da67b31df98fcada3.jpg

A small Prorsisphinctes sp. ammonite, Pygomalus ovalis echinoid and a rhynchonelloid brachiopod.

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 10

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, a rhynchonellid! 

Yay.gif.8dd6fc1fa16b3ef4d993212bf2788f9e.gifWoot.gif.d2a8a5d37fe4026c16f0cf98d5c1fe04.gif

But seriously, great finds and lovely prepping. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Well done, sir! Great finds and prep!  :WootSign:

I wish I could find those on my walks!  :envy:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Incredible finds! You do a great job prepping the ammonites you find!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

but I managed to find a couple of weathered blocks which contained a few small ammonites.

So you are one of those rare guys going to "lost" sites and picking up nice fossils ;)

Congrats to these lovely finds from a not so lost site!

Franz Bernhard

3 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

So you are one of those rare guys going to "lost" sites and picking up nice fossils ;)

Congrats to these lovely finds from a not so lost site!

Franz Bernhard

Like I said, the visit was for nostalgia's sake. I still drop in there every once in a while if I happen to be in the viscinity, since a lot of good memories (and finds) are connected with the site for me.

@Everhardus @Tidgy's Dad @Fossildude19 @historianmichael Thanks for your comments guys :) That one was for you Adam.

• Thank You 2

12 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Ludwigella .sp

Gorgeous. What a great feeling... to take a walk, down the paths of yesterdayyear. Did you have the pleasure of naming that 4th set?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 hours ago, RuMert said:

Great stuff! I'm always surprised by your prepping skills - bang and 100 new specimens are prepped as if hundreds of hours were invested in each. Do you have a time freezing machine?:D

Very simple. I'm retired, so I have nothing better to do :)

1 hour ago, Fossilsforever said:

Very nice!:thumbsu:

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Gorgeous. What a great feeling... to take a walk, down the paths of yesterdayyear. Did you have the pleasure of naming that 4th set?

Unfortunately not. That was Buckman back around 1900. I stole my avatar name from him :ninja:

• Enjoyed 2

2 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Very simple. I'm retired, so I have nothing better to do :)

Thanks!

Unfortunately not. That was Buckman back around 1900. I stole my avatar name from him :ninja:

+1 for retirement 

I should have stayed retired, but getting paid to do hobbies was irresistible!

I feel the same way you do about certain fossil sites...it’s more about the memories than the specimens.

Those times I saw big cats...finding undocumented petroglyphs...silence so profound one can hear ones own heartbeat...the feeling you get when you remember you are the first human to ever see a specimen in situ, etc etc etc.

Enough waxing poetic- as always, great work!

3 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

+1 for retirement 

I should have stayed retired, but getting paid to do hobbies was irresistible!

I feel the same way you do about certain fossil sites...it’s more about the memories than the specimens.

Those times I saw big cats...finding undocumented petroglyphs...silence so profound one can hear ones own heartbeat...the feeling you get when you remember you are the first human to ever see a specimen in situ, etc etc etc.

Enough waxing poetic- as always, great work!

My sentiments exactly and thanks for the laurels. You've changed your look, or do you just have a ponytail I can't see?

Well, most of the bivalves were't really worth keeping, but this one turned out ok.

2a.jpg.b33d40970ab5a2db2514332feda14752.jpg

2b.jpg.e583db0e67806509fd28dc3fb74ad93c.jpg

2c.jpg.ce98966f360152a7209af5edefb4da00.jpg

Trigonia costata

Looks like I'll have to get back out again soon before the weather turns for the worse.

• Enjoyed 2

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

My sentiments exactly and thanks for the laurels. You've changed your look, or do you just have a ponytail I can't see?

Have to keep it tied back at work- safety and such...plus it was quarterly facial hair change time again.

1 hour ago, LabRatKing said:

Have to keep it tied back at work- safety and such...plus it was quarterly facial hair change time again.

Figured as much. One has to go with the times, right?

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Figured as much. One has to go with the times, right?

Sort of...I grow a different 19th century beard each quarter!

as for safety, nothing worse than hair soaked with beta mercaptoethanol fumes and such!

• I Agree 1

Hey Roger, I was just thinking.   If you were to pay for a plane flight for me to come over there and let me stay at your place and eat all your food, then I could sit on your shoulders at all these great fossil sites of yours I could then I could be your 'pointer'.  "there's one".   "another one over there".  "oops, back up Roger, you missed one back there".  and of course I could also be a good cheer leader while you strain by carrying all my wieght.   "your doing a great job Roger".  Keep of the good work Roger".  "we make a great team Roger".   and then of course once you get all the fossils cleaned up and prepped, we can then split the spoils 50/50.   Thanks man

Oh, a fantastic bivalve by the way.  I really like that one. 

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Hey Roger, I was just thinking.   If you were to pay for a plane flight for me to come over there and let me stay at your place and eat all your food, then I could sit on your shoulders at all these great fossil sites of yours I could then I could be your 'pointer'.  "there's one".   "another one over there".  "oops, back up Roger, you missed one back there".  and of course I could also be a good cheer leader while you strain by carrying all my wieght.   "your doing a great job Roger".  Keep of the good work Roger".  "we make a great team Roger".   and then of course once you get all the fossils cleaned up and prepped, we can then split the spoils 50/50.   Thanks man

Oh, a fantastic bivalve by the way.  I really like that one. 

RB

That's an extremely gracious offer, Ron, so I'll definitely have to return the favor some day ;)

• Thank You 1

I will offer my supervisory services in addition to RB's.  Can't hurt to have too many lazy bums telling you what to do and then you get to share your finds with them.  

• Enjoyed 1

I'd be willing to tag along and share my most important fossil hunting tool: The Astronaut Screwdriver.

Do they sell Tang brand orange drink mix over there or should I bring some?

:zzzzscratchchin:

1 hour ago, jpc said:

I will offer my supervisory services in addition to RB's.  Can't hurt to have too many lazy bums telling you what to do and then you get to share your finds with them.  

1 hour ago, LabRatKing said:

I'd be willing to tag along and share my most important fossil hunting tool: The Astronaut Screwdriver.

Do they sell Tang brand orange drink mix over there or should I bring some?

:zzzzscratchchin:

Sounds like it's gonna be pretty cramped in the guestroom. I've never searched for Tang, but I figure if you can get Dr.Pepper and Southern Comfort here, then the chances are good.

41 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Sounds like it's gonna be pretty cramped in the guestroom. I've never searched for Tang, but I figure if you can get Dr.Pepper and Southern Comfort here, then the chances are good.

No room needed! I have a tent!