Fossils I am considering for purchase

Shelley newbie collector

Hi there. I am brand new to this hobby and have been making some purchases on online but I am concerned about authenticity. Here are some pics of fossils I am considering. Does anybody see any obvious issues? I know it is impossible to say for sure if they are genuine from a few pics but any pointers would be much appreciated!

s-l400-1.jpg

s-l400-2.jpg

s-l400-9.jpg

s-l400-11.jpg

s-l400-7.jpg

s-l400-9.jpg

s-l400-3.jpg

s-l400-4.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.  :)

The Keichousaur pictures are too small to make any kind of  determination, and one doesn't match the others. 

That said, the shrimp/crustacean and crab fossils look OK. 

I'd also be concerned about the legality of the frog fossil, especially if it is coming from China. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks! The frog is coming from South Korea - does that seem less suspicious? There are pics of a couple different keichesaurs - I should have been more clear.  I'll attach a few more pics if them.

s-l400-19.jpg

s-l400-18.jpg

s-l400-17.jpg

s-l400-16.jpg

s-l400-15.jpg

s-l400-14.jpg

s-l400-13.jpg

56 minutes ago, Shelley newbie collector said:

Hi there. I am brand new to this hobby and have been making some purchases on online but I am concerned about authenticity. Here are some pics of fossils I am considering. Does anybody see any obvious issues? I know it is impossible to say for sure if they are genuine from a few pics but any pointers would be much appreciated!

s-l400-1.jpg

s-l400-2.jpg

s-l400-9.jpg

s-l400-11.jpg

s-l400-7.jpg

s-l400-9.jpg

s-l400-3.jpg

s-l400-4.jpg

Welcome! The crab, shrimp, and frog fossils aren't raising any red flags for me, other than, as Tim pointed out, the legality of the frog.

Those Keichousaur pictures show two different specimen, one with a more 'wiggly' ribcage, and one with it straight. Also, they seem deadly similar to another one I've seen purchased... Let me check if they're the same!

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

I can't seem to find it, but this is isn't my expertise, so don't go off my opinion on the Keichousaur! :)

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I was afraid I would be laughed right out of the forum as I am brand new to this. At this point I'm just a lady with an empty shelf, an online account and about 30 minutes of internet research on spotting fakes! Lol

4 hours ago, Shelley newbie collector said:

Thanks! The frog is coming from South Korea - does that seem less suspicious?

Tim's concern wasn't how it seemed suspicious but just how exporting fossils from China is not legal.

I don't see anything suspicious in the Keichosaurs, although they look like they might be ground down from poor preparation. This is pretty common. They're probably real but more photos would help determining specifics. Sometimes they paint on missing digits or the likes.

First off welcome to the forum!

I’m not seeing any obvious red flags on these. If they were priced right I’d probably go for them....

The only thing he was concerned about was that China has restrictions on exporting fossils. 

The pea crab is from the Monterey formation of California. (Most likely Carmel Valley.) The shrimp probably comes from either Lebanon or Solnhofen. 

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

11 hours ago, Shelley newbie collector said:

Thanks so much for the feedback! I was afraid I would be laughed right out of the forum as I am brand new to this. At this point I'm just a lady with an empty shelf, an online account and about 30 minutes of internet research on spotting fakes! Lol

You're very welcome! Ah, we don't do that here, we just help others learn! :)

On 2/24/2021 at 2:51 PM, Shelley newbie collector said:

Thanks! The frog is coming from South Korea - does that seem less suspicious? 

The scientific value of geological provenance, like real estate, is about location, location, location. The seller may originate from S. Korea, but what about the specimen? As the prospective buyer, never fear asking the precise details on something you are considering purchasing. And, if in doubt, never fear to walk away. The substantive meaning of any fossil is its context -- otherwise, it is little more than a decorative item. :) 

• I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I find it interesting that several folks mentioned the legality of the frog, but not the Keichosaurus which is also from China. 

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

On 2/25/2021 at 7:26 PM, jpc said:

I find it interesting that several folks mentioned the legality of the frog, but not the Keichosaurus which is also from China. 

I have often wondered about this! Glad someone brought up the subject.