Kiros

Hi guys! 

Recently I got in a trade this nimravid mandible from the white river formation in Shannon County. Now I want to ask your help to determine the genus, if possible. Being incomplete and missing all the teeth it's quite difficult but it has a quite elongate mandible flange and by the number of the alveoli it had three teeth. I think it can be Hoplophoneus, what do you think about it? 

IMG_20210224_203619.jpg

IMG_20210224_203725.jpg

IMG_20210224_203711.jpg

I found a similar one in Wyoming this summer. Apparently the depth of their chin can determine genus. Yours seems relatively deep, which may indicate Hoplophoneus, while my own may be Dinictis.

IMG_6341.thumb.JPG.b21b3ceabc2d0606d40f1ea7a1c71f47.JPG

Genial flange.Size of the genial flange in adult taxa. Measured as the height of the genial flange from the anterior portion of the postcanine diastema to the ventral apex of the genial flange/length of dentary from the posterior articular surface to the most anterior aspect. 15(0): no flange, the ventral rim of the chin is regularly curved (A); 15(1): no flange, but the ventral rim of the chin is distinctly angulate (B); 15(2): short flange, between 22 and 31% of the total length of mandible (C); 15(3): deep flange, 32–50% of the total length of the mandible (D); 15(4): extremely deep flange, 54% or more of the total mandibular length (E). Figured specimens YPM 10066, Daphoenus vetus (A), YPM 10045, Nimravus brachyops (B), YPM PU 13587, Dinictis felina (C), YPM PU 11079, Hoplophoneus dakotensis (D), modified from Hatcher (1895: Plate XL), FAM 69377, Hoplophoneus cerebralis (E).C

A: Daphoenus

B: Nimravus

C: Dinictis

D: Hoplophoneus

from https://openi.nlm.nih.gov/detailedresult?img=PMC4756750_peerj-04-1658-g018&query=&req=4

• I found this Informative 1

Nice, 

8 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

I found a similar one in Wyoming this summer. Apparently the depth of their chin can determine genus. Yours seems relatively deep, which may indicate Hoplophoneus, while my own may be Dinictis.

IMG_6341.thumb.JPG.b21b3ceabc2d0606d40f1ea7a1c71f47.JPG

Genial flange.Size of the genial flange in adult taxa. Measured as the height of the genial flange from the anterior portion of the postcanine diastema to the ventral apex of the genial flange/length of dentary from the posterior articular surface to the most anterior aspect. 15(0): no flange, the ventral rim of the chin is regularly curved (A); 15(1): no flange, but the ventral rim of the chin is distinctly angulate (B); 15(2): short flange, between 22 and 31% of the total length of mandible (C); 15(3): deep flange, 32–50% of the total length of the mandible (D); 15(4): extremely deep flange, 54% or more of the total mandibular length (E). Figured specimens YPM 10066, Daphoenus vetus (A), YPM 10045, Nimravus brachyops (B), YPM PU 13587, Dinictis felina (C), YPM PU 11079, Hoplophoneus dakotensis (D), modified from Hatcher (1895: Plate XL), FAM 69377, Hoplophoneus cerebralis (E).C

A: Daphoenus

B: Nimravus

C: Dinictis

D: Hoplophoneus

from https://openi.nlm.nih.gov/detailedresult?img=PMC4756750_peerj-04-1658-g018&query=&req=4

Nice, thank you for the help, you found a great piece in great condition (much better than mine!) 

5 hours ago, Kiros said:

Nice, 

Nice, thank you for the help, you found a great piece in great condition (much better than mine!) 

Thanks! I was definitely happy to find it, though I wish it's teeth were still there.

3 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

Thanks! I was definitely happy to find it, though I wish it's teeth were still there.

Must be a common occurrence, also mine need a good dentist :heartylaugh: