NJ Cretaceous Scute

Nick Fish

16 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I was thinking the same.

As I look into it I'd guess croc scute as I now see some holes that are rather asymmetrical for drum teeth.

This is neither a drum fish mouth plate nor a Croc osteoderm. This is a reptilian bone fragment showing the internal porous structure. Drum fish aren't found in the Cretaceous.

• I Agree 2

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

27 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Drum fish aren't found in the Cretaceous.

Not in the taxonomic sense of Sciaenids but there are plenty of other cretaceous fish with crushing plate dentition that are often referred to as "Drumfish". It's erroneous, yes, but I doubt they're going to stop calling them drums.

50 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

This is a reptilian bone fragment showing the internal porous structure.

Forgive my uneducated opinion, but, aren't the holes a bit too circular for a bone structure? All of the reptilian fragments I've seen sport a more tubular structure. Going off my current information, I say croc osteoderm. :)

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

I agree that this is bone, and likely reptilian. This is a similar piece from the Cretaceous of TX, NSR. No crocs there.

IMG_3504.thumb.jpg.75854066ca64841669b8de3609c5c62b.jpg

IMG_3505.thumb.jpg.770d10616ad85956eaecac81998b321e.jpg

Turtle chunk from Galveston, TX:

1174173134_IMG_1065copy.jpg.a1746689faf9c4848691ed562c44f866.jpg

The bone is very spongey.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

6 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

I agree that this is bone, and likely reptilian. This is a similar piece from the Cretaceous of TX, NSR. No crocs there.

Turtle chunk from Galveston, TX:

The bone is very spongey.

I very much agree that this is turtle bone.

: )

To my untrained eye that looks like a Cretaceous croc scute I have from North Texas,  assuming mine is,  would one of the differences be the distance between the holes?

IMG_20210226_105346034.jpg

IMG_20210226_105458799.jpg

IMG_20210226_110146300.jpg

IMG_20210226_105905878.jpg

I would find the shape of the surface characteristics very odd for a bone fragment,  they are round and not sharp edged and have an even depth.  Also they appear to me to be significantly larger than trabecular structure even in turtles or whales.  As I said earlier it looks like cretaceous croc.   More recent Croc scutes from florida  pleistocene  look different ,and  have a rise in the middle.

This is a typical bone fragment from NJ. A bunch of abrasion can easily completely reshape the bone frag. The more delicate structures in the bone get rounded off / destroyed and look like they have a pattern like a Croc osteoderm, but it is an illusion.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I would say fragment of croc scute - the specimen is identical to the ones we find here on the Isle of Wight, slightly worn but quite identifiable. 

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by MartynH