Weird Calvert Formation shark tooth

sharkdoctor

I think I saw this tooth form in an identification book at some point and laughed at it. It's such a weird tooth. However, I can't find the reference now. It's driving me crazy. Any ideas what this is? It is possible that the tooth was reworked from an earlier formation (Old Church or Piney Point).

From the Calvert Formation, bed 3. The scale box=5mm.

Lingual surface?

1307012863_MysterytoothlingualCalvert.thumb.jpg.76d39b324e5755b62c39edfa29dfd3a3.jpg

Labial surface?

286984154_mysterytoothlabialCalvert.thumb.jpg.2b06028acf5eb09fe43344c5f800377b.jpg

@jcbshark @MarcoSr @Al Dente @Gizmo @fossilsonwheels

I have found 3-4 of the same shaped teeth in Lee Creek Matrix.  I have them labeled as Carcharhinus symphyseal teeth.

• I found this Informative 2

The root has very thick, more laterally-extended lobes than I would expect for a symphyseal tooth.  Two fossil teeth I've seen that were identified as Carcharhinus symphyseals were narrower, flatter and the root didn't split off into lobes - more like a single, flatter lobe.  

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

The J-elasmo has some nice examples of modern ones that are similar. It looks like the lower symphyseals are more similar to the fossil one posted above.

DD3CCD63-8583-4655-B5BF-76E0AD860E31.jpeg

D57EB3F9-E7FE-46DE-86EA-E4B574142FA6.jpeg

451A313C-2A84-403F-932E-6C97C4C9F4C4.jpeg

DAC9A32F-645E-49EE-AC15-98C88B81CCE5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

@siteseer @Al Dente @fossilcrazee @MarcoSr @hokietech96 @Gizmo

Thanks so much for your thoughts and the resources!

I sent a note to Brett Kent and he weighed in: "The tooth looks like a late fetal, or perhaps neonatal, Carcharhinus." 

Given the weight of the evidence at hand, I am leaning toward "Carcharhinus sp., Likely neonatal or symphyseal"

Al Dente,

Those are great photos.  Thanks.  I should have checked J-Elasmo.  I guess the couple of Carcharhinus symphyseals I've seen must be uppers.

Jess