NSR Unknown 2-25-2021

Planko

Hi Everyone, 

Found this morning at North Sulfur River, Delta County, TX. First pic is one side. Third pic the other. Any idea?

20210225_133743.jpg

20210225_133755.jpg

20210225_133730.jpg

20210225_133818.jpg

Coprolite? @GeschWhat

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

33 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Nope.

I'm certainly not good with coprolites, but it has at least a superficial resemblance to others found there:

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Well, it seems to resemble a couple of the pieces in the other post. Well, poo! I thought I found something different. 

4 hours ago, westcoast said:

This looks like button coral

This was my thinking too, but for some reason the rest of my first post was missing! ( just now noticed that)

Interesting :popcorn:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

18 hours ago, HuckMucus said:

Appears to be an external mold fossil from the place where coprolites originate.

Can you explain? Maybe I am reading it wrong. Are you saying it looks like a button coral that was eaten and then passed? Or, the mold of the animal?

57 minutes ago, Planko said:

Can you explain? Maybe I am reading it wrong. Are you saying it looks like a button coral that was eaten and then passed? Or, the mold of the animal?

I apologize.  I failed to read the room.  When I first saw the first post/photo, a coprolite did not come to mind.  Rather, . . . never mind.  I'll endeavor to check myself in the future.

The Cretaceous seems to be the totally wrong age but my first reaction was that this was a lobolith=a crinoid bulb/float. these are known primarily from the Silurian/Devonian. But I have seen ones from the Miocene. So they persisted through the Cretaceous. Looks like some crinoid symmetry. The roundish shape of the fossil with some indentation (that's not the right term) just speaks to me of a lobolith. Just My 2 cents  In the Western Interior Seaway a floating crinoid Unintacrinidae (Grinnel) existed in the Cretaceous.

49 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Sorry, I'm late to respond. This looks like a beautiful little coprolite to me. However, it is unusual that the pinch (sphincter) marks are on both sides. Usually these are just on one side. The other is usually concave.

I don't even know what kind of critter we are talking about, but with elk, a nipple on both sides is a cow, and a nipple on one side with an indent on the other side is a bull.  Something do do with feces passing the prostate?

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, HuckMucus said:

I don't even know what kind of critter we are talking about, but with elk, a nipple on both sides is a cow, and a nipple on one side with an indent on the other side is a bull.  Something do do with feces passing the prostate?

Fascinating! I didn't know that. I'm going to have to take a peak at the deer poop in my aunt's yard. My husband is a hunter. He mentioned that with white tail deer, the more compact clusters of pellets are usually from a stag. Those that are loose are usually from a doe. I wonder if there pellets would be similar to an elks. I've never really looked into it. I will now. Thanks for that! :D

This coprolite would be from a carnivore. I think those with the nipple structure are generally attributed to marine reptiles, since modern crocs leave pinched ends like that sometimes. 

47 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Fascinating! I didn't know that. I'm going to have to take a peak at the deer poop in my aunt's yard. My husband is a hunter. He mentioned that with white tail deer, the more compact clusters of pellets are usually from a stag. Those that are loose are usually from a doe. I wonder if there pellets would be similar to an elks. I've never really looked into it. I will now. Thanks for that! :D

This coprolite would be from a carnivore. I think those with the nipple structure are generally attributed to marine reptiles, since modern crocs leave pinched ends like that sometimes. 

I learned it when I was a pup.  Later, I guided elk hunts in the Selway-Bitterroot and used it then.  It only works when they are dropping pellets (late summer/fall/winter) because they drop pies, too.  Side bar:  I'd carry milk duds in my pocket and when we'd come across a pile of pellets, I'd have one or two milk duds in my hand, reach down and act like I was grabbing a few pellets, the pop the milk duds in my mouth.  I'd squint with my best Clint Eastwood, look off into the forest and say: "I reckon we're about an hour behind him."  The client would shift his weight a little, look around and say something like "okay."  Inevitably, it would be the talk among the hunters back in camp.  "My guide didn't do that!"  LOL!  

• Enjoyed 4

On 2/27/2021 at 9:13 PM, fossilnut said:

The Cretaceous seems to be the totally wrong age but my first reaction was that this was a lobolith=a crinoid bulb/float. these are known primarily from the Silurian/Devonian. But I have seen ones from the Miocene. So they persisted through the Cretaceous.

Do you know of any published accounts of Cretaceous or Miocene loboliths? A Miocene lobolith would be an interesting find.

On 3/7/2021 at 7:40 PM, HuckMucus said:

I learned it when I was a pup.  Later, I guided elk hunts in the Selway-Bitterroot and used it then.  It only works when they are dropping pellets (late summer/fall/winter) because they drop pies, too.  Side bar:  I'd carry milk duds in my pocket and when we'd come across a pile of pellets, I'd have one or two milk duds in my hand, reach down and act like I was grabbing a few pellets, the pop the milk duds in my mouth.  I'd squint with my best Clint Eastwood, look off into the forest and say: "I reckon we're about an hour behind him."  The client would shift his weight a little, look around and say something like "okay."  Inevitably, it would be the talk among the hunters back in camp.  "My guide didn't do that!"  LOL!  

That is TOO funny! Love you sense of humor. :notworthy: :default_rofl: