I_gotta_rock

This one is bugging me!!!!

I know this is a brachiopod. I found it at the Reedy Point spoils along the C and D Canal in Delaware. It is 1cm in diameter.

I have found two of them in the sand but none of them in the books. I have looked in Weller 1907, Wade 1926, Stephenson 1923, Richards 1958 and 64, and Lauginger 1988. I asked the folks at the repository for the Monmouth Amateur Paleontological Society. No dice. Look familiar to anyone?

RPN21-008ext.jpg

RPN21-008int.jpg

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

19 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Terebratulina cooperi is the common brachiopod from there. This one looks too wide but I found this picture of a similar wide one from the Mount Laurel from this website-https://www.dgs.udel.edu/delaware-geology/lamp-shells-phylum-brachiopoda

That is strange. Obviously, T. cooperi is usually teardrop shaped and both mine and the one photo are almost circular. I wonder where they got your picture from and how many round ones they found??? For that matter, why did they put a picture of a Belemnite in that photo set?

That looks like an Orthid brachiopod to me, a Rhipidomella (Middle Devonian) or Discomyorthis (Lower Devonian). Devonian specimens (usually corals) are sometimes found in the Cretaceous streams in New Jersey. Any possibility yours could have infiltrated?

49 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

That looks like an Orthid brachiopod to me, a Rhipidomella (Middle Devonian) or Discomyorthis (Lower Devonian). Devonian specimens (usually corals) are sometimes found in the Cretaceous streams in New Jersey. Any possibility yours could have infiltrated?

We do get erratics sometimes, but not this delicate. The stuff we get down here is heavily tumbled, no shell material, only impressions.

17 hours ago, I_gotta_rock said:

We do get erratics sometimes, but not this delicate. The stuff we get down here is heavily tumbled, no shell material, only impressions.

Is it mineral replaced or original shell? If it is original material then that would argue in favor of it being Cretaceous. I could picture a glacial erratic breaking down and releasing a small brachiopod like that one. Orthid brachiopods tend to weather out intact due to their shape. 

21 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Is it mineral replaced or original shell? If it is original material then that would argue in favor of it being Cretaceous. I could picture a glacial erratic breaking down and releasing a small brachiopod like that one. Orthid brachiopods tend to weather out intact due to their shape. 

It is original shell. I have no question that it is cretaceous. Trying to decide if it is some morph of Terebratulina cooperi or something minimally documented.

I'm thinking the this is missing the pedicle valve which is what makes T. cooperi look tear dropped.  

• I Agree 1

10 hours ago, erose said:

I'm thinking the this is missing the pedicle valve which is what makes T. cooperi look tear dropped.  

No, both valves are usually tear dropped. I have enough articulated pairs to know.

• I found this Informative 1

I know there is a lot of variation in the Terebratulina that I find in the Eocene Castle Hayne Formation. Here's some I recently found in a thin layer of sediment. Three brachial valves and a complete brachiopod.

brachs.jpg

• I found this Informative 1