Purse 2/25 - So-so finds

HemiHunter

Managed to get out last week to Purse to collect the low tide. After talking to a couple of nice game wardens at the lot, I headed down to the river. Turns out I had the place to myself. Conditions were very good and the sun came out after a week of nasty winter weather. My hopes were high!  Well, being in no particular hurry, I was able to look at every square inch of beach and every slump pile. But I didn't find a lot, and nothing I found was spectacular. I did collect a few pretty teeth and some bits of bone, but nothing big. Just one of those days. I did share some teeth with a lady and her young kids out collecting for the first time, so that was a plus. My meagre finds looked awesome to them, so I guess it's all about perspective!

20210225_141953.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Looks like you got an Otodus though, in the top right, and a chunk of one as well. Nice finds!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

20 hours ago, HemiHunter said:

But I didn't find a lot, and nothing I found was spectacular. I did collect a few pretty teeth and some bits of bone, but nothing big.

Nice finds!

I was just at Purse yesterday. I didn't find much either. I ended up talking with another collector there who said that he collects at Purse every-other-week. He didn't find much too. 

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Looks like a beautiful day. Does the partial tooth on the bottom middle have worn serrations? If so, that would be a nice find (Palaeocarcharodon)!

7 minutes ago, bthemoose said:

Looks like a beautiful day. Does the partial tooth on the bottom middle have worn serrations? If so, that would be a nice find (Palaeocarcharodon)!

I was just thinking that. Looks like it to me.

Looks like you found a worn Palaeocarcharodon, and a couple Otodus! Looks like a good day to me. 
Photo of what look like serrations to me.

FA04AF86-4A31-4F8D-971C-814F94C106E0.jpeg

18 hours ago, historianmichael said:

I was just at Purse yesterday. I didn't find much either. I ended up talking with another collector there who said that he collects at Purse every-other-week. He didn't find much too. 

Nice trip and looks like really nice weather!

@historianmichael That was me that you ran into the other day. Was nice to meet you!

27 minutes ago, Clint08 said:

@historianmichael That was me that you ran into the other day. Was nice to meet you!

Nice to meet you too! A great first impression I had slipping and sliding and falling about in my boots. You definitely had the right idea wearing waders. It is hazardous out there with all of the mud and fallen trees!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

16 hours ago, bthemoose said:

Does the partial tooth on the bottom middle have worn serrations? If so, that would be a nice find (Palaeocarcharodon)!

15 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Looks like you found a worn Palaeocarcharodon, and a couple Otodus! Looks like a good day to me. 

Thanks @FossilsAnonymous, @bthemoose, @historianmichael, @Clint08 and @Familyroadtrip.

I took a closer look and, yes, I think there are serrations just barely visible.  Thanks for noticing and asking, as this is my first Palaeocarcharodon tooth in any condition. Turns my so-so trip in to an excellent trip! :thumbsu:

1 hour ago, HemiHunter said:

Thanks @FossilsAnonymous, @bthemoose, @historianmichael, @Clint08 and @Familyroadtrip.

I took a closer look and, yes, I think there are serrations just barely visible.  Thanks for noticing and asking, as this is my first Palaeocarcharodon tooth in any condition. Turns my so-so trip in to an excellent trip! :thumbsu:

Congrats!! Awesome tooth! 
I got lucky on my first trip & found half of a Palaeocarcharodon, only half & tiny, but one of my rarest fossils.