Brandy Cole

The waterways are down enough to hunt some again in my area.

This is a find from yesterday, sandy gravel matrix in the river. Pleistocene era.

I'm thinking it looks like a spinous process from a large vertebrae, but I'm not positive.  I'm also unclear on size differences and other distinctions that could help me narrow down the species.  I was thinking possibly bison or camel.

Any ideas would be great.

IMG_20210228_100131963.jpg

IMG_20210228_140013462.jpg

IMG_20210228_140004228.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

I agree, this looks like a spinous process, of quite a large animal at that. Wouldn't be able to help you with the species, but judging from size bison would not seem a bad guess...

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Yes, definitely the base of a spinous process/neural spine and part of the neural arch. Both the postzygapophyses are present. Looks like the dorsal vert of a large mammal.

• Thank You 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

That does not look like a bison to me.

Edited to add: I don't have any in front of me, and it's been a while, but I don't recall the anterior (back side) being concave like it shows in that last photo.  That one seems so sinuous.  But I'm also used to seeing them with the rest of the vertebrae attached (process, foramen, facets, centrum, etc.). 

• Thank You 1

Nice find.  :)  Here is a distant view of the varied size processes on one of the Columbian mammoths in Waco, Texas.

post-420-046266000 1283750275.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Nice find.  :)  Here is a distant view of the varied size processes on one of the Columbian mammoths in Waco, Texas.

post-420-046266000 1283750275.jpg

Wow, the size differences even on the same animal are so great.