drbush

Hi friends, I hoppy that all of you are safe l and healthy, I went to Aruma formation area outside of Riyadh and found this egg like hard fossil, it is 3cm, heavy with? Shell remainder. What could it be???

egg fossil.jpg

Looks like a stone chicken laid that one! I defer to venture a guess just based on the photos if it is or is not an egg. Even if it isn't, I'd keep it as a conversation piece. Maybe you could show it at your local natural science museum

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm looking forward to the outlook on this one!:popcorn:

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

6 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Thanks for the heads up, Tim.  I am flattered.  

Fossil bird eggs have similar texture to modern eggs, so we would need a very close photo to see what the detailed texture looks like.  

As others have said, even if it not an egg, it wins the best Not An Egg Rock we have seen in a while.  

• I Agree 1

18 minutes ago, jpc said:

Fossil bird eggs have similar texture to modern eggs, so we would need a very close photo to see what the detailed texture looks like.  

Plant fossils are sometimes studied using tissue molds preserved in a non cellular cuticle. Any chance something similar might be found on a well preserved internal mold ?  

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Plant fossils are sometimes studied using tissue molds preserved in a non cellular cuticle. Any chance something similar might be found on a well preserved internal mold ?  

Hmmmm.... I don't know.  

Interesting find,  I hope that it is an egg.  what is the aruma formation,  in terms of age and kind of fossil normally found there.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see this being the remnant of a structure that a developing embryo might breath through. 

• I found this Informative 2

Pretty interesting, hopefully a verdict comes soon

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg