Tate Museum virtual Speaker Series... and invitation

jpc

Greetings y'all.

As many of you know I work at the Tate Geological Museum in Casper, Wyoming.  As many of you don't know, we used to host a Spring Lecture Series every year for the people of Casper.  This year we decided to start it up again, using the newly acquired skills of Virtual Gatherings.  The theme this year is Cretaceous Dinosaurs.  The talks are scheduled for the first Tuesday of March, April and May. 

Here is the link:

https://www.caspercollege.edu/tate-geological-museum/events/lecture-series/

The Zoom link is on that Tate Museum web page.  The talks are at 7PM Mountain Time.  It may be late/early for folks in Europe, but for those in the States and elsewhere, please feel free to join in.  I leave it up to you weather to join in with a real name, a pseudonym or with your Fossil Forum name.  

Tomorrow night's talk is by Pat O'Connor of Ohio University and he will talk about Cretaceous Dinosaur of southern African and Madagascar.  I had the good fortune to be party of Pat's explorations in Tanzania for two years back in the mid aughts.  

Even though the talk is primarily about dinosaurs, I include a couple shots of this cool little crocodilian we found, Pakasuchus.  

1145465531_pakaskull.jpg.56a28b0fb1ec3a1e26e935680d22c828.jpg

reptilafricailustra2.jpg.4157b3763536d2d80bcf65beecdab595.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

54 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Is it OK to share this with my students and scouts?

Yes please

• Thank You 1

20 hours ago, Allosaurus said:

Will the lectures be recorded and available for viewing afterward? 

That's a good question.  I guess we will have to figure that out tomorrow at work.  And it is also up to the speaker if they are OK with being recorded.

Sounds very interesting :)

Do you know how long the lecture will be? Hopefully I can squeeze it in before a prior engagement. 

That'll be too late for me I think. Won't be able to make it. :(

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

8 hours ago, Huntonia said:

Sounds very interesting :)

Do you know how long the lecture will be? Hopefully I can squeeze it in before a prior engagement. 

About an hour.

Very cool. The little museum I work for does lecture series twice a year and we’ve had to do it virtually as well. Good luck and I’ll check one out if I can. 

The presentation by Pat O'Connor was excellent. Thank you JP for letting us know about this event. 

The only good thing about COVID are the virtual interactive talks that many scientific societies now have. It is much easier to attract high caliber speakers from further away. I am inspired to ask scientists with interesting papers to give a talk for my paleo society.

To everyone, please post links to interesting talks that are able to be shared.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

17 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The presentation by Pat O'Connor was excellent. Thank you JP for letting us know about this event. 

The only good thing about COVID are the virtual interactive talks that many scientific societies now have. It is much easier to attract high caliber speakers from further away. I am inspired to ask scientists with interesting papers to give a talk for my paleo society.

To everyone, please post links to interesting talks that are able to be shared.

We were [;eased with botht he turnout and the talk.  

Yes, these things should be publicized widely.  We had people from all over the country show up and I have no idea how they all got there.  How many of you guys were there?

I was there and really enjoyed this, thanks for having us!

I missed the last few minutes, if the recording becomes available I'd love to get a copy.

Enjoyed it and definitely recommend future talks to others.  Pat O'Connor was excellent and you could see the enthusiasm in his presentation around his discoveries.   Thanks to all who set it up.