Is this really it?

Kasia

8 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Happy birthday! :yay-smiley-1:

Funny that, you don't hear about people having been born on the 29th too frequently. You're only the second person I know after my sister :D

I'm afraid I need to join in with the bad-news-crew, though, as I don't recognize any hadrosaur skin in the piece you got... Below is a specimen in my collection with the same scale-pattern @jpc mentioned...

5f5b67459f867_HadrosaurskinimpressionHellCreekMontana02.jpg.95b160e5c1d222cef8dc916b98b87d9c.jpg5f5b6746cdd54_HadrosaurskinimpressionHellCreekMontana05.jpg.4d6285470e03b4db3d36f33800c2f872.jpg

Thanks and happy birthday then to your sis :) She is for sure an extremely smart, pretty and interesting individual :thumbsu:

Hmmm, the one you show and then one above by JPC indeed seem much different, not good at all..... for me, of course....

• Enjoyed 1

6 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Why not celebrate on both days each year?  Twice as many presents, twice as much birthday cake, and I promise you won’t grow older twice as fast!

Believe me, I have been trying for years to convince my family to adopt precisely such pattern - in particular in respect of presents - but God knows why, they seem reluctant to do that! :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 1

9 hours ago, Troodon said:

Happy Birthday 

Can you take a real straight in closeup photo of the pattern area circled.   How many sides are these patterns visible 

obraz.png.6b6348ad99bcc86a9f7605782fda9db7.jpg.9b9fcf31d3e628d86b786ef0b3dcb6e9.jpg

9 hours ago, Rockwood said:

It's this contour that looks especially unlike an imprint, but somewhat bone like, maybe, to me.

obraz.png.6b6348ad99bcc86a9f7605782fda9db7_LI.jpg

I hope it helps, it's the best I can do with my phone....

obraz.png.cbfcde2560bb94ad3cb521efa2e065b3.png

obraz.png.e34375bafaf04bda014c58bcfcc7fbec.png

obraz.png.b1e014697bb212b268f5c7e47560afec.png

The pattern is visible only on this concave part of the rock. The other sides are quite smooth:

obraz.png.119686cf7d14ef997770b78238ef0a15.png

obraz.png.1d8c1a26571964866e42a4ebbdf9bdf8.png

What do you think?

I'm still not seeing an imprint. The texture seems bone like, but not clearly so.  If it were found in the expected association with a skeleton, is about the only way I think it could be reliably identified as a skin fossil. Even then one would need to eliminate the possibility that the texture was caused by bubbles of gas escaping from a decaying body. 

I would hold on to hope that it could be just the same. :)

• Thank You 1

Not that it's likely to be of much value, but the matrix as seen on the back-side looks very similar to the back-side of my piece. Unfortunately, that's just by memory, though, as I don't actually have the imprint here to compare to.

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thanks, don't know I'm not ready to discard its a skin impression.  There is lots of variations but this one is not typical of what you normally see.  The hex shape is not clearly defined. 

• Thank You 1

I would lean towards this being a poorly preserved skin impression.

• Thank You 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I'm still not seeing an imprint. The texture seems bone like, but not clearly so.  If it were found in the expected association with a skeleton, is about the only way I think it could be reliably identified as a skin fossil. Even then one would need to eliminate the possibility that the texture was caused by bubbles of gas escaping from a decaying body. 

I would hold on to hope that it could be just the same. :)

58 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

I would lean towards this being a poorly preserved skin impression.

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks, don't know I'm not ready to discard its a skin impression.  There is lots of variations but this one is not typical of what you normally see.  The hex shape is not clearly defined. 

3 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Not that it's likely to be of much value, but the matrix as seen on the back-side looks very similar to the back-side of my piece. Unfortunately, that's just by memory, though, as I don't actually have the imprint here to compare to.

Thanks guys - I have written to the guy who sold it and I guess he himself was not very much convinced as to the authenticity of this one, as he offered immediately a refund :) He added that he had received it from a dealer, who was offering him app. 100 similar pieces !

2 hours ago, Kasia said:

Thanks guys - I have written to the guy who sold it and I guess he himself was not very much convinced as to the authenticity of this one, as he offered immediately a refund :) He added that he had received it from a dealer, who was offering him app. 100 similar pieces !

Well, at least you'll be getting your money back then, so that's good! To bad about your brother's birthday gift not turning out what he expected it to be, though...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

2 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Well, at least you'll be getting your money back then, so that's good! To bad about your brother's birthday gift not turning out what he expected it to be, though...

My brother will be getting the money back, true - but that also means he needs to resume his quest for hadrosaur skin, as I cannot cross it off my wish-list yet :)

Thanks, I won't spoil my brother's fun :heartylaugh:and let him face the challenge again ....

• Enjoyed 1

Perhaps someone located a spot where actual specimens (bone or skin impressions) were excavated and scarfed a bunch of pieces that were deemed not identifiable ? 

• I Agree 1

Happy late birthday!

20 hours ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Judging by your profile picture, it's your 23rd! Enjoy yourself!

She has actually only had 11 birthdays, you were 12 off! 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

You're a rare bird. Happy Birthday, Kasia! :)

I'm thinking you have a sponge there, but I'm not sure.

• Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

19 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

You're a rare bird. Happy Birthday, Kasia! :)

I'm thinking you have a sponge there, but I'm not sure.

I am, right? :raindance:Thanks :)

It does resemble the Cretaceous sponges I used to find in Poland, for instance in Nasiłów - just that here they are colourful:

obraz.png.ec8620c38f0da92e08d147ad9f9864bd.png

obraz.png.ff2dabe39b30050492b9349312d1b591.png

obraz.png.6c0673615975c63e3423beda87c4b2bb.png