Jump to content

Florida Teeth


Recommended Posts

BellamyBlake

I have here two teeth from North Florida. Larger one is 1.18" long and 0.25" wide; smaller one is 1" long and 0.28" wide. My guess was coyote or wolf, would these be accurate?

 

Thank you,

Bellamy

1.jpg

2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Brett Breakin' Rocks
3 hours ago, BellamyBlake said:

My guess was coyote or wolf, would these be accurate?

I think some shots straight down/perpendicular to the lens (in profile etc) .. will help as well for an ID. These obtuse angles sometimes make the subtle shapes hard to read. I suspect @Shellseeker @jcbshark might have some thoughts if they are able to swing by. 

 

Cheers,

Brett

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
BellamyBlake
4 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I think some shots straight down/perpendicular to the lens (in profile etc) .. will help as well for an ID. These obtuse angles sometimes make the subtle shapes hard to read. I suspect @Shellseeker @jcbshark might have some thoughts if they are able to swing by. 

 

Cheers,

Brett

Thanks for letting me know, I took a few more shots. Hopefully these are more helpful for anyone checking the thread out!

 

Best,

Bellamy

thumbnail_20210302_024523.jpg

thumbnail_20210302_025048.jpg

thumbnail_20210302_025324.jpg

thumbnail_20210302_025352.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Pristis

If these are wolf or coyote, they must be deciduous teeth.  In fact, I have not seen a canine I could identify as deciduous because there is always a smaller carnivore to which the canine can be credited.  I defer to @PrehistoricFlorida who lives in North Florida and who systematically collects canines.

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Familyroadtrip

Not canid. I believe I sold you the one on the right at least, but possibly both. The one circled in blue is River Otter, the one circled in yellow is Raccoon. 

E27718FE-41C3-49F0-8E67-95B423644E66.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
BellamyBlake
24 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Not canid. I believe I sold you the one on the right at least, but possibly both. The one circled in blue is River Otter, the one circled in yellow is Raccoon. 

E27718FE-41C3-49F0-8E67-95B423644E66.jpeg

Haha that's right. I lost the labels for some of my Floridian material. You did sell me these, and I believe these are right. Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Familyroadtrip

No problem!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...