Shale nodule teeth or chelicerae?

Bonehunter

Hi all!

I have been using my new scope and camera to get some better photographs of conodonts I've recently found in nodules in Pennsylvanian Stark shale between Winterset and Bethany Falls limestone. I have found 4 of these 500-700micron, tooth-like structures-I destroyed several inadvertently removing the "carbonized film". Two of the 3 most recent are not connected to anything, but have a broad base. In the 3rd photo, you can see what appears to be a joint where the "tooth" connects. I am waiting on finer needles to clean this one. Though I call them "teeth", I don't really think they are-they are not conodonts that I can tell, and in a couple nodules, there are other "carbonized" pieces present (you can see portions in photo two). I think these are really cool!!! If anyone has even a thought about what they could be, I'd appreciate it, as always!!    Bone

1838178491_Toothinstarkshalenodule700um.thumb.jpg.93c0b5b7c1d790330eca906f0c4f2ac4.jpg539730997_toothstarkshalenodulekansascitymultiplefragments.thumb.jpg.2269cbd030098a96e01fa879990880c4.jpgDSC00113.thumb.JPG.57305f32b2cacfbe1b87395d770f3388.JPG

At least the second looks more like a dermal denticle, maybe from a holocephalan. Here is a sketch of some dermal denticles from Helodus. I will tag @jdp for his thoughts.

1479983453_ScreenShot2021-03-01at9_44_39PM.png.c491ae6d14dfa09ccc006de0eed3151d.png

Source: Patterson, C. (1965B). "The phylogeny of the chimaeroids."

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

WOW- very, very cool!!!!!!....I found an Iniopterygian a couple months ago, and now these!!!- Thank you so much!-in reviewing the literature and on-line info, it also gives me a thought on another item I've found but not photographed that appears to be a tooth from a similar/identical animal- I need to clean it out of the shale and I will post it!!

EVEN COOLER!!!!!!!!! I will upload more photos once I clean the other (pic #3 is covered in a thin, loose matrix towards 6:00-9:00 or so best I can tell-its more than just the "tooth"/chelicerae" How am I going to differentiate?/confirm?...........

Thanks!!!!    Bone

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I think these might be scolecodonts.

5 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I think these might be scolecodonts.

This was my thought here as well.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'm in agreement with scolecodonts.

Don

Thanks!!!- I've found a few references depicting some or most of the structures, but is there a "best" source for depicting these? I see they have a long history as well- anyone have thoughts on some "Family" I can attempt to place them in?  I know its a stretch with just these photos, but any direction appreciated!!!!!  Bone