Places In Oregon

Powell

I've lived in Oregon for almost my entire life. The 2 spots I've been going to have been pretty fruitful; so I thought I'd share them.

In between Newport and Lincoln City is Beverly Beach. In a little dirt parking area right off highway 101, about a mile or less South of Beverly Beach State Park.

My link

You'll walk down a little gravel fire road to the beach (can't drive down). From that point south is a huge formation, filled with clams, oysters, and other types of fossilized shells (Sorry, don't know scientific names). For the most part, it's pretty easy to dig them out. Your best bet is to get up on the little ledges 10 feet or so up where most people don't bother looking.

Another spot is in a town called Fossil near John Day. Behind the high school is a hill covered in rocks. Some leaves can be found here without too much trouble.

Haven't been there for a few years so I'm not sure how it is anymore.

I'd post pictures of what I've gotten from these areas, but my collection isn't with me :(

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the John Day tip, Powell. I live in Boise and just may get to John Day area next summer.

Idaho heart.

• 8 months later...
fossilman01

I've lived in Oregon for almost my entire life. The 2 spots I've been going to have been pretty fruitful; so I thought I'd share them.

In between Newport and Lincoln City is Beverly Beach. In a little dirt parking area right off highway 101, about a mile or less South of Beverly Beach State Park.

My link

You'll walk down a little gravel fire road to the beach (can't drive down). From that point south is a huge formation, filled with clams, oysters, and other types of fossilized shells (Sorry, don't know scientific names). For the most part, it's pretty easy to dig them out. Your best bet is to get up on the little ledges 10 feet or so up where most people don't bother looking.

Another spot is in a town called Fossil near John Day. Behind the high school is a hill covered in rocks. Some leaves can be found here without too much trouble.

Haven't been there for a few years so I'm not sure how it is anymore.

I'd post pictures of what I've gotten from these areas, but my collection isn't with me sad.gif

Since I moved here two years ago,I to hunt fossils on this beach and other areas close by....Also Molook(north of Newport) and Lost Creek(south of Newport) are great areas to find fossils......REMEMBER,You can't dig fossils from the cliff areas,its against the law!

Some of the time,a fossil or two will work loose and fall of the cliffs,than its legal to take.Most of mine are found on the gravels beds after the winter storms are gone and the gravels are showing....

Usually only a two month window to hunt,but well worth the effort.....