jikohr

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to id some very small shark teeth for an independent research paper I'm writing and am a little unsure on my ids. I took some photos of some typical specimens and was hoping to get some feedback. The scale bar is mm. I put what I think the species is with each group of photos. Any feedback and tips for differentiating these species would be greatly appreciated.

Pachygaleus.jpg

Physogaleus.jpg

Galeorhinus.jpg

Most of these look like Physogaleus secundus. We would need to see the labial sides to rule out some other possibilities such as Galeorhinus.

Thanks! I'll post some better pics with both sides later today. How does one tell the difference between Galeorhinus and Physogaleus?

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Micro Stone City shark teeth

Thanks!

I do have a couple questions.

Does the root bulge out on all Physogaleus teeth regardless of the jaw position?

When identifying Pachygaleus I always look for a main cusp that is much more stubby and short than the other two species, is that accurate?

52 minutes ago, jikohr said:

Thanks!

I do have a couple questions.

Does the root bulge out on all Physogaleus teeth regardless of the jaw position?

When identifying Pachygaleus I always look for a main cusp that is much more stubby and short than the other two species, is that accurate?

Yes, for Pachygaleus, shorter main cusp. The majority of Physogaleus teeth I have seen have protruding (thick) root. I’m not sure about all jaw positions though. The only Physogaleus I find in the areas I hunt is the “contortus”.

Pachygaleus and Galeorhinus have a bulge of enamel that hangs over the root on the labial side. Physogaleus doesn’t. You can see the bulge in the photos Sercher78 shared.

• I found this Informative 1

23 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Pachygaleus and Galeorhinus have a bulge of enamel that hangs over the root on the labial side. Physogaleus doesn’t. You can see the bulge in the photos Sercher78 shared.

I read that elsewhere and was kind of confused by it. Is the enamel bulge near the ends? Because I saw a slight bulge in the center of the enamel as well on Physogaleus. Also Here are better pictures that show all the labial faces.

Pachygaleus.jpg

Physogaleus.jpg

Galeorhinus.jpg

On 3/3/2021 at 5:19 PM, jikohr said:

Is the enamel bulge near the ends?

It should go all the way across the tooth. Here is the only one of your teeth that I see with an enamel bulge.

overhang.JPG

Here are many examples of Middle Eocene Physogaleus secundus. These are from the Claiborne Group of Alabama, the same age as your teeth. I've included a picture of the reference that this picture came from. It's a good paper.

physogaleus1.JPG

physogaleus2.JPG

• I found this Informative 2