Fish Fossils -- fake or real?

Hello,

my girlfriend bought 2 fish fossiles. I am not sure if they are fake or not. 

[links removed]

Do those look genuine to you? To mee they look kinda painted. 

best regards

• Kane changed the title to Fish Fossils -- fake or real?

Welcome to the Forum.

As per Forum rules, we do not identify sellers here. Also, please post images directly here. The authenticity of a specimen is contingent upon the specimen itself, not who is selling it. ;) 

From this subforum's rules:

Please do not post links to websites, nor identify or incriminate a seller in any way- Do Not Copy or screenshot advertisement verbiage. 

For our educational purposes, the sellers' identity is immaterial; this is all about the specimens. 

• I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Please post pictures when you get a chance. It would also be nice to know the location the seller claimed the fish were from.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Hi, oh I really just found this site via google and did not read the rules, I am sorry. 

The seller claims that they are from the states. I will upload the pictures tomorrow, as I did not save the links to myself. ;)

They are similar to this one:

Screenshot_20210303-235901_Samsung Internet.jpg

yes, real.  yes painted  to make them look better.  notice that there are very few actual bones in the fins.  

• I Agree 1

Agreed knightia from Wyoming

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Unfortunately, this Diplomystus dentatus and Knightia eocaena are painted as well.   :( 

On the Knightia, you can see where they missed the fins, and part of the body as well.

The Diplomystus had the bones painted in black and then the brown inked over the body. 

It is a shame, as they are good imprint fossils despite that they would not have shown up quite as well without the ink/paint.

20210304_115033.thumb.jpg.704e5d7fb461e3a99cd522e61d3d48ac.jpg

20210304_115044.thumb.jpg.f1c5644ded7cdc8406b3377739cef304.jpg

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

Has anyone had success with a solvent that might remove the paint?

That’s a really interesting question.

I have this Mioplosus which I bought at the very beginning of my fossil collecting journey. Didn’t know what I was doing and bought it without realising it was heavily dyed. 

I don’t like it at all now, but if I could remove the dye, it might become more appealing ??

4E09BF85-06BD-40F5-88F9-459233F2643E.jpeg

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

20 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I have this Mioplosus which I bought at the very beginning of my fossil collecting journey. Didn’t know what I was doing and bought it without realising it was heavily dyed. 

I don’t like it at all now, but if I could remove the dye, it might become more appealing ??

I have a little Knightia that I did the same with. Impulse buy before I knew what I was doing. I have read that acetone will remove the paint, but I have yet to try.

• Enjoyed 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

For comparison, here is an unpainted Knightia from the Green River Formation, Split Fish Layer.

Knightia_kompr.thumb.jpg.b5cca00832199417dcee854f238a0c98.jpg

Franz Bernhard