acetabular

I found this ungulate radius in the North Sulphur Creek outside of Ladonia, Texas. Am unsure if this is a bison or not (or horse? I don't know how to differentiate between even and odd toed radii), though I know that it dates to the Late Pleistocene. Would very much appreciate the ID help! (Sorry I don't have a ruler handy at the moment)

radis4.jpg

radis 3.jpg

radis 2.jpg

radis.jpg

radis5.jpg

Edited by acetabular

Are you certain this is Pleistocene material and not modern? I'd like a clearer up close picture of the proximal end. It looks like too much is missing of the central notch  but some better lit pictures of the articular surface might help. There's too much shadow to see the articulation notches which can also differentiate Bison and Bos.

For reference here's the proximal end of an Equus sp. radius posted by @Harry Pristis. Similar photos online show a distinct depth in the proximal surface so I doubt it is horse.

Thanks for your response! I am confident it is fossilized; the bone is mineralized, and I have observed that a lot of Pleistocene material from the NSC looks like this. I've attached more pictures of the proximal end here. 

IMG_8808.jpg

IMG_809.jpg

IMG_810.jpg

If you're certain it is fossilized I'd guess Bison. Aside from the central notch the other characteristics look more like Bison than Bos anyway (despite the wear). I'm not aware of any similar ones that would be found in the Texas Pleistocene.

• I found this Informative 3