Dinosaur tooth. Gorgosaur? Nanotyrannus? T-rex?

Josesaurus rex

Hello again.  

I saw this tooth on the internet, I don't know what dinosaur it could be from.  

In the description of the publication it does not say anything, only that it is from the theropod and from the United States.  

I suspect it is from a tyrannosaurid, but which one?  I don't know.  Gorgosaurus?  or T rex?

There is no further information on the origin or training where it was obtained.  What do you think it could be?  I know that with so little data not much can be done, but I would like to know the opinions or suggestions that you have on this matter anyway, so that I can have a better idea and decide whether to buy it or not.

C4D6A203-BB33-4EBE-BF59-C32AEA9F9BC3.jpeg

14D04633-69D9-4B38-875B-1D2AB7519203.jpeg

A9C8A5C0-499A-4448-8752-CB93D9827EB2.jpeg

B41408EA-DC86-4862-8DB2-81479241E1CF.jpeg

57DC08A1-C472-4FF2-AC59-FB0EB103F27A.jpeg

F69ADD89-FAFE-4D52-80E1-1D42D2B835F6.jpeg

0E5FA48B-1BA6-4221-B605-F77C7BC0AFA1.jpeg

I agree with Kane. I would definitely try to get more information from the seller, especially as regards where the the tooth was found. There may have been some repair done to this particular tooth as well? I’m certain some of the more experienced members will be able provide additional information concerning this tooth. Good luck! Nice tooth. 

• I Agree 1

To identify a Tyrannosaurid, which this is,  we need the formation and the state with county where the tooth was found... A complete provenance is very important because these teeth all look very similar.  

• I Agree 1

ok, thank you all very much for your answers. :dinosmile:

I will ask the seller about the precedence, and as soon as he answers me I will comment on it here.

2 hours ago, bcfossilcollector said:

Estoy de acuerdo con Kane. Definitivamente trataría de obtener más información del vendedor, especialmente en lo que respecta a dónde se encontró el diente. ¿Es posible que también se haya realizado alguna reparación en este diente en particular? Estoy seguro de que algunos de los miembros más experimentados podrán proporcionar información adicional sobre este diente. ¡Buena suerte! Buen diente. 

Yes, it is repaired as it says in the publication

@Kane @bcfossilcollector @Troodon @BellamyBlake

Finally the seller has responded.  Sorry if I break any rules with this, but I would like to quote verbatim the answer he gave me:

Hi. I am so sorry I really do not know I am trying to find information from when I brought it.
I know it is definitely not hell creek.
I think it is from the morrison formation however I do not know for sure so i do not want to make something up or get it wrong.
I am so sorry and when I know I will update the listing.”

@Josesaurus rex that’s really odd the Morrison formation is mostly Jurassic, Not cretaceous, i’m starting to get worried that maybe it’s a fake seller I don’t know. If it’s a tyrannosaur It’s probably stokeosaurus, but if it is from the Morrison formation that it’s most likely an Allosaurus tooth which is still really cool those can cost a lot on the Internet

6 minutes ago, Crankyjob21 said:

@Josesaurio rex eso es realmente extraño, la formación de Morrison es principalmente jurásica, no cretácica, estoy empezando a preocuparme de que tal vez sea un vendedor falso que no conozco. Si es un tiranosaurio, probablemente sea stokeosaurus, pero si es de la formación de Morrison, lo más probable es que sea un diente de Allosaurus que todavía es genial, esos pueden costar mucho en Internet.

In fact, the item is sold from Australia, perhaps that explains the seller's lack of knowledge about the origin of the fossil.  Anyway, how he mentioned it, an allosaurus tooth would be great too.

Without a provenance it's pure speculation to assign it to any species and the seller appears to only have identified it as Theropod from North America, no age provided.   The black color is typical of what you can find in the Morrison.  Hopefully he can get you more information but looks more like a meglosaurid than an allosaurid

@Crankyjob21 @Troodon

Looking for images of allosaurus teeth on the internet, I realized that they have some similarity when compared side by side, and that the sediment that is in the root of the tooth has a color quite similar to the photo of the tooth that is in the matrix.  So if the tooth is from the Morrison Formation, and without having more data than that, it could be interpreted as an indeterminate allosaurid.  

I admit that all this is too speculative, but based on those comparisons, it is already some progress.  What do you think?

284502E2-4ACF-484A-9888-B41FCD90ACB2.jpeg

406B644D-AA0C-48DB-B2A3-897E7923F09B.jpeg

Like I said above it looks more like a Meglosaurid than a Allosaurid.  When identifying these type of teeth you have to to look beyond just photos but at its characteristics like serration density and travel of mesial carina.  If you obtain locality information we can do that but right now is pure speculation with the limited info we have on the tooth

Of course, I understand that the more information possible the more accurate the identification will be. As soon as the seller gives me better information, I will let you know.

Thank you very much @Troodon for your quick responses and goodwill, and Thank you all for your comments and help.

Until next time.

@Josesaurus rex well it is from the Morrison formation it could be from three theropods, torvosaurus, allosaurus, and saurophagnax, so yeah have you got the tooth yet if you have you can post some pictures and I could look at them more closely

I agree with @Troodon looks more like a meglosaurid with that carina, shape and denticles.  Hopfully you can get more information on locality and then we can see what serration density is to confirm.  Don't get an allosaurid vibe.

9 hours ago, Crankyjob21 said:

@Josesaurio rex bueno, es de la formación Morrison, podría ser de tres terópodos, torvosaurus, allosaurus y saurophagnax, así que sí, ¿tienes el diente? Si lo tienes, puedes publicar algunas fotos y podría verlas más de cerca.

No, I don't have a tooth.  I plan to buy it, but not yet, because some books and a rib of edmontosaurus should arrive first (I hope it is, anyway I will consult it here later).  So, as you will see, I must leave money for the shipping, and then I can buy the tooth, if it is still available.

9 hours ago, TyBoy said:

... No consigas una vibra de alosáurido.

Sure.  In fact I am waiting if the seller can find the data of the origin of the tooth when he acquired it.  Excuse me, but I did not understand what he meant by this phrase.  Perhaps when translating this into Spanish, something changed a bit in real meaning.  If you could rewrite that sentence, in other words, I would appreciate it.

6 minutes ago, Josesaurus rex said:

Sure.  In fact I am waiting if the seller can find the data of the origin of the tooth when he acquired it.  Excuse me, but I did not understand what he meant by this phrase.  Perhaps when translating this into Spanish, something changed a bit in real meaning.  If you could rewrite that sentence, in other words, I would appreciate it.

Él no piensa qué el diente es de un Allosaurid.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Hace 6 minutos, ThePhysicist dijo:

Él no piensa qué el diente es de un Allosaurid.

Todo más claro ahora, muchas gracias por la aclaración. :Smiling: