New here. Looking for information for my aunt

Jess1313

Hello! My name is Jessie. My aunt has gotten into fossils, mostly shark teeth and I don't know much about them. She is disabled. She is deaf/mute so there is a bit of a learning barrier. She does best with hands on learning. I don't have many funds to get her fancy fossils, but I've done my best to get her what I can afford. If anyone has any super low end fossils, please let me know. I'm not looking for expensive I'm looking for her experience :) 

Welcome to the Forum, Jess.  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Are you looking to find fossils, bring your aunt to a dig, or purchase them? Would your aunt be up to a fossil hunt as long as she can be properly accommodated? If so, there may be some collecting options if you are willing to travel. I suppose I should ask: what does she prefer? Having fossils or finding them and having them?

If possessing them for a low cost is the preference, there are plenty to be found on the big auction sites. Of course, you might want to check with us first before purchasing by posting images on our "Is it Real?" subforum -- not everything posted on the auction sites is a real fossil!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

5 minutes ago, Kane said:

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Are you looking to find fossils, bring your aunt to a dig, or purchase them? Would your aunt be up to a fossil hunt as long as she can be properly accommodated? If so, there may be some collecting options if you are willing to travel. I suppose I should ask: what does she prefer? Having fossils or finding them and having them?

If possessing them for a low cost is the preference, there are plenty to be found on the big auction sites. Of course, you might want to check with us first before purchasing by posting images on our "Is it Real?" subforum -- not everything posted on the auction sites is a real fossil!

She is also paralyzed and in a wheelchair. She would love it if she could do it, but unfortunately I don't see that happening. She really enjoyed the couple of fossil dig kits I got her.

So it looks like purchasing is the likeliest option. Have you looked at the U-Dig website? They sell Wheeler shale for at home splitting. Beyond that, the auction sites are the best option.

I think any of us would be extremely fortunate to have a nephew like you. :)

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

So it looks like purchasing is the likeliest option. Have you looked at the U-Dig website? They sell Wheeler shale for at home splitting. Beyond that, the auction sites are the best option.

I think any of us would be extremely fortunate to have a nephew like you. :)

I did see that U-Dig sold shale, maybe in the future that would be an option. Right now I don't have a $100 to throw into it. I appreciate the info :) 

Does she have use of her hands?  There are places where you can buy matrix (basically fine gravel) you can search through and find small fossils including shark teeth.  For example the museum at Aurora NC sells bags if matrix as a fund raiser.  It really is fun as there are lots of different kinds of teeth and shells, and you really do get to find them as opposed to buying them.

Don

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Welcome to the forum! :meg:

Like others have said, "the auction site" has many options, some being shark teeth packages to look through. Microfossil matrix could be a good experience if you happen to have a magnifying glass, or a cheap microscope - it would open a whole new avenue to looking for fossils at home. I can suggest sellers or more specific ideas if that sounds feasible. 

• Thank You 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Welcome from Colorado, there are some places to buy matrix so you don't have to travel but still have the joy of finding fossils yourself at home like they've said above

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Welcome Jessie! I like your name, enjoy your stay! :)

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

PaleoCris (the maker of this site/ a youtuber) sells “paleopacks” that would fit in your budget (you could buy two of them with yours) . They are micromatrix, and from what I have heard have tons of fossils in them. He also puts larger fossils such as meg teeth, glyptodont scutes etc. inside the pack. I have never gotten one myself, but I have heard that they are great. A few members have also gotten Aurora micro matrix and were very pleased with the result. They are about 10 dollars more expensive than PaleoCris’s, but you can still fit two in your budget. All of them are great options, but from what I have heard and seen PaleoCris’s are the best of all of them.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

I ended up buying her a Paleo Pack! I'm always looking for other options though :) She really enjoyed the idea of "finding" fossils in the store bought sets. I'm really hoping she gets lucky and gets a glyptodont scute in her pack. That has been one of her favorite things that she saw from Cris and Kyles videos :) I also plan on taking her to the Museum of the Rockies in April. This will be her first trip to a museum and I couldn't be more exited for her! :) I appreciate everyone getting back to me. I'm loving this community!

• Thank You 1

Hello, Jess, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png