Fun with Calvert Formation micros

fossilsonwheels

We were very fortunate to get quite a bit of Calvert Formation micro matrix and some great teeth from @sharkdoctor. This is my first exploration of this formation and I am loving it. Lots of Carcharhiniformes material and it will take me a little time to ID some of Carcharhinus teeth but that is a good learning experience. I need the practice. 

The very fine matrix has been my favorite. I’ve found a few Scyliorhinus teeth, a few Squalus teeth and a few Mustelus teeth. Raja teeth are way more common than in STH. I’ve searched a lot of STH matrix and found 2 Skate teeth. It took me 10 minutes to find two in this mix. 

I have a lot more searching to do but I am really enjoying this. 

Pic 1 Scyliorhinus

Pic 2  Squalus

Pic 3 Mustelus 

AC8312D1-ADD7-48B6-9B55-88BC95E775A3.jpeg

1B1B2B64-B032-4784-8485-CE7C763E848A.jpeg

D36AD408-C353-41B7-AED1-B90DD6744A87.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

@fossilsonwheels

So glad to see that you are enjoying this material. I forwarded the ID literature for these samples today. You'll notice that Brett doesn't put a genus on these little critters. However, he does note that there are likely to species of Squalus and goes so far as to call them Sp1 and Sp2.

21 minutes ago, sharkdoctor said:

@fossilsonwheels

So glad to see that you are enjoying this material. I forwarded the ID literature for these samples today. You'll notice that Brett doesn't put a genus on these little critters. However, he does note that there are likely to species of Squalus and goes so far as to call them Sp1 and Sp2.

Hi Aaron

I will check the reference out for sure. Two species of Squalus is interesting. I wonder if there might be multiple Catsharks too. I am certainly enjoying myself ! 

• 1 year later...