Coprolite, or pseudocoprolite?

Wrangellian

I've had this for a while but don't recall where I got it. Someone probably gave it to me - without data as usual.

Is it one of those 'pseudocoprolites' from the Miocene Wilkes Formation of Lewis Co, Washington? Or do things like this occur elsewhere? Are there any confirmed coprolites that look like this, from any place? If not a coprolite, what is is composed of - limonite, siderite?

@GeschWhat

copro1.thumb.jpg.d83bb2e199f4b361d3e1a59415fbb8e0.jpgcopro2.thumb.jpg.c3a6280f56ac15f4d49f271a1f3775ab.jpg

These can occur all over the world. I have some from Patagonia, Australia, Madagascar, Nebraska and Washington State. Some people believe these are coprolites, and some may be. However, if it is from the Wilkes Formation, I think it is a pseudocoprolite. To the best of my knowledge, no "body" fossils are found in the Wilkes - only the siderite concretions that look like coprolites. Some argue that these are actually intestinal casts (cololites). But if that is the case, why would intestinal casts survive the fossilization process when harder body parts do not? I'm on the side of those that consider these "earth poop." Basically, they are thought to be formed by iron-rich mud pushing through fissures. If it was found in a fossiliferous area, it could be a coprolite. 

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks Lori. I have no clue as to where it was found, just a guess on my part. I guess if there were any clues as to its location of origin you would have picked them out?