Petrified wood with grubs

Jk visitor

Around 40 years ago my dad dug up this fossil, he worked in construction so it was likely not in the original location but perhaps in an old garden or waste pit. As a child I broke off the large grub, sorry! I was trying to get a closer look. Just wondered where this might have originated, what the insects were and what type of stone now inhabits their bodies, is it quartz? Found in England (Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire area)

16151163737856533225555998424878.jpg

16151164290612497450541542395399.jpg

16151164847022964390377173263609.jpg

Edited by Jk visitor
Adding photosA

Hello and welcome to the forum, Jk Visitor!

That looks like an interesting fossil.

In order to tell more about the grubs it would be important to have sharp closeup photos, especially of the ones still in the wood. (the parts that stick out I mean.)

Best regards,

J

• I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

It does look like burrowed wood. The shape and size is more consistent with Pholad clam burrows than grub burrows.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Very cool piece! Not sure those are actually grubs you have there. I agree with @Mahnmut. Close and clear photos would be needed to attempt any sort of ID on them.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Very interesting piece! We'd 100% need to see better photos, I think Al Dente is on the right tracks, too. Driftwood?

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Could be Teredolites.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Just for comparison, this is driftwood with burrows in it, you can barely make out the tiny clams and what's left of them in dark holes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I've googled the boring clams and can see similar markings on the creature so I think that ID is spot on. And closer inspection of one hole reveals the cracked remains of a bivalve shell, will attempt to add photo. This has given the fossil a whole new perspective to me, it's so interesting so thanks for replying.

1615880753042500573670540544264.jpg

• I found this Informative 1