Machairodus skull : fake or real ?

Hello, in your opinion, is this Machairodus skull real?  
He sells a lot of fossil mammal skulls and I find that a little weird. Thank you

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Hi, I couldn't tell you if it is indeed a Machairodus skull, but it doesn't seem to me to be a skull sculpted or made from one mold of another, because I see a lot of fine detail (I mean the cracks), which is difficult replicate so naturally.

Hopefully someone else can give a more precise answer and can help you more.

• Thank You 1

Yes this is a Machairodus skull from Gansu

It is real but I can't tell if there's any restoration done, or if the lower jaw and upper jaw are truly associated. Still worth going for if it fits your budget

• Thank You 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Some of these are composites, found partial and then lower jaw and teeth composited from a different specimen or some parts restored. Sometimes even filled with mud and clay, but I think most of this material is real and the fact that there are many sold (every week) just tells us how very common they are/were to find. Like you, I found weird that he sells 1 or 2 every week, but this material was found abundantly and is real, although sometimes there could be restorations or compositions. 

sells a lot of fossil mammal skulls and I find that a little weird.

• Thank You 1

On 3/11/2021 at 3:54 PM, Josesaurus rex said:

Hi, I couldn't tell you if it is indeed a Machairodus skull, but it doesn't seem to me to be a skull sculpted or made from one mold of another, because I see a lot of fine detail (I mean the cracks), which is difficult replicate so naturally.

Hopefully someone else can give a more precise answer and can help you more.

Thanks for your answer and help
  • Thank You 1

On 3/11/2021 at 6:28 PM, -Andy- said:

Yes this is a Machairodus skull from Gansu

It is real but I can't tell if there's any restoration done, or if the lower jaw and upper jaw are truly associated. Still worth going for if it fits your budget

Thanks to you I learned that this fossil came from Gansu

On 3/12/2021 at 10:05 AM, aeon.rocks said:

Some of these are composites, found partial and then lower jaw and teeth composited from a different specimen or some parts restored. Sometimes even filled with mud and clay, but I think most of this material is real and the fact that there are many sold (every week) just tells us how very common they are/were to find. Like you, I found weird that he sells 1 or 2 every week, but this material was found abundantly and is real, although sometimes there could be restorations or compositions. 

Thank you for your reply. It is true that it is surprising to see so many beautiful fossils. Yours truly