Mastodon? South Texas

Zenmaster6

I found this by Corpus Christi.

I am 90% sure this is a mastodon crown but would love some confirmation 

and then I found this tusk with cross hatching and I don't know if its mastodon or mammoth

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Thank you fossil forumers! 

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

IMHO the third and forth pic in the first post look like calcite. Not sure about the other two. More people with better knowledge will be here soon. 

Very cool finds! 

Definitely part of a mastodon cusp, and tusk ivory (don't know if it's mammoth or mastodon) based on the Schreger lines.

Cf. NSR mastodon cusp:

Seems if you can measure the line angles, you can determine if it's mastodon or mammoth: 

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

31 minutes ago, Planko said:

IMHO the third and forth pic in the first post look like calcite. Not sure about the other two. More people with better knowledge will be here soon. 

Trust me, my wife said it looked like an oyster lol

You gotta have a trained eye for proboscidean stuff. :)its a pain to find!

29 minutes ago, BellamyBlake said:

Lovely finds!

Thank you! That Megalodon looks amazing btw!

30 minutes ago, ThePhysicist said:

Very cool finds! 

Definitely part of a mastodon cusp, and tusk ivory (don't know if it's mammoth or mastodon) based on the Schreger lines.

Cf. NSR mastodon cusp:

Seems if you can measure the line angles, you can determine if it's mastodon or mammoth: 

You're a godsent for being on here and actually helping with ID.

I really do appreciate it. A lot of people see my posts and know what it is but 

don't take the time just to write "yup"

You go the extra mile and site sources. They should make you Member of the Month / bring back the point score so I can give you points :)

1 hour ago, Zenmaster6 said:

You're a godsent for being on here and actually helping with ID.

I really do appreciate it. A lot of people see my posts and know what it is but 

don't take the time just to write "yup"

You go the extra mile and site sources. They should make you Member of the Month / bring back the point score so I can give you points :)

Glad I could be of some help!

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Mastodon tooth enamel is correct. Nice find.