Chunky Dolomite

Huntonia

I tried to get some dolomite ready for prepping today, this is first time I've used the dolomite since I got more serious about the quality of my medium, and first time trying pure dolomite. The dolomite I have is raw dolocron from the pottery supply house, I couldn't find any pre-sifted on their website.

I used a mortar and pestle, baked the dolomite and sifted through a 120 mesh. Very little powder went through the mesh and what did is still clumping and sticking to surfaces. I don't think it will run through the paasche like this.

Here's the mesh after a spoonful of dolomite:

20210307_134853.thumb.jpg.3068b71e41b7960dbb30f1e5acacaf13.jpg

And here's what made it through the mesh

20210307_134807.thumb.jpg.cd475ee862d8d797543d32c5897ac654.jpg

Is there something I can do to make this workable or do I need to find someplace to buy pre-sifted dolomite?

Was it rated 40-13? I think the Dolocron 40-13 is 40 micron (which is what you want), and should pass through 325 mesh. 

If the size is too large, I don't know if it will be possible to break it down without some form of mechanical equipment. Let me tag @Malcolmt, as he might know of a way. 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

There is no way to salvage, you need the bag that is labelled 4013. 95% of that bag passes through a 120 mesh screen about 60% passes a 200 mesh screen . 40 micron is about 325 mesh (44).

There is no economically priced dolomite that you do not have to sieve. The 4013 I get is manufactured by Washington Mills and costs me about $25 Canadian for 50 pounds. I get it from Pottery Supply house (PSH) but I pick it up in person 5 to 10 bags at a time (I buy for a lot of the preppers up here as I live 20 minutes away and see most of them at some point in a year0 (though not this year)

• I found this Informative 1

Hold up ,,, you might actually have 4013 dolomite.......I just looked at your pictures, that is not a sieve. You cannot sieve through a fabric mesh with dolomite. It will just stick hopelessly unless the mesh is metal. You need a geological sieve set at least 8 inches in diameter a good starter set is 50, 120, 200, 325 mesh with a bottom pan and top cover. Get used as these are not cheap.

• I found this Informative 2

50 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

You cannot sieve through a fabric mesh with dolomite. It will just stick hopelessly unless the mesh is metal

This is just a bent sheet of 304 stainless steel wire mesh, is that workable?

Sorry looked like fabric, I have no idea what the mesh in a geological sieve is made out of......... other than it is metal, I have a full set of Tyler Brass walled  testing sieves 12 inch, 30,40 50,100,120 170, 200, 325. Then I have an 8 inch set of 350, 400, 500