Fossils of Summer county Tennessee

Robert Mahorney

Brachiopods orthoceras crinoids all found right here in Hendersonville TN Sumner county just north of Nashville. Love to fossil hunt and see what I can find while imagining worlds of the past. 

20210307_100946.jpg

20210307_155257.jpg

20210307_155316.jpg

20210307_155334.jpg

20210307_155355.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Has anyone else found orthoceras or other cephalopods in the Nashville area?

On 3/10/2021 at 8:41 AM, Robert Mahorney said:

Has anyone else found orthoceras or other cephalopods in the Nashville area?

I don't think these are Orthoceras. Orthoceras is a genus that is only found in Sweden and the Baltic states, not in the US

Oh ok thanks. So what do u think they are. I mean I know they are cephalopods but does anyone know their specific genus or species.

They were found in limestone at about 600 feet elevation in Sumner County Tennessee

"Orthoceras" had become a common catch-all or garbage bin name for many orthoconic cephalopods.  Older literature would often list species of Orthoceras for North America.  They have all been placed in different genera over the years.  But there are many genera and species of straight shelled, orthoconic, cephalopods in our North American Paleozoic stratas.  You need well preserved specimens, good reference books and an idea of what species would be found in the formation you are collecting to get an identification of any value.   

Here is a great link and resource that may get you further along if these are Ordovician in age: http://strata.uga.edu/nashville/index.html

• I Agree 1